Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Jun 8, 2003, 7:05 AM   #11

SD is faster, I guess... the lag between two shoots can be smaller... or not?
temporary price ballance between CF and SD is not the argument for me... newer technology is always more expensive and expenses can get equal in future
kexik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2004, 12:40 AM   #12

nothing like reviving an old thread.....

I was recently in the market for a new digicam and, having always owned Kodak in the past, I wanted to stay with Kodak. I've had good luck with them. My first, the DC25 was a great camera for it's day, and accomplished it's desired task of taking photos for the web, very well.

I moved the to DX3600, and 3000 pictures later, I was in the market for a camera that offered more features, controls and most importantly zoom.

I really like the DX6490. I compared it with other camera in it's class (big zoom wise) and it ultimately came down to the Kodak and the Fuji s7000.

While the s7000 had the smaller zoom, it had the CF slot. The Kodak didn't. I've invested in a half dozen different CF cards over the years and ultimatly, that made the decision for me. So for the first time I said goodbye to Kodak and hello to Fuji simply because Kodak dropped the ball and changed media types. Even with all the amazing features of the s7000, I'd rather have gotten the Kodak...but they really left me no choice.

Thanks Kodak.
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2004, 2:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Shows
I've invested in a half dozen different CF cards over the years and ultimatly, that made the decision for me.
That's a very good point. If I were to get a new camera now, I would go with one using SD because that's what I have right now. For first-time buyers it shouldn't matter much the type of memory card as long as your needs are covered. When you are replacing or already have memory cards for other uses or devices, then it becomes just as important other features.

But Kodak is not alone with this kind of thing. A friend of mine had a Fuji digital camera that was a couple of years old and used Smart Media. I bought her a Fuji A210 for Christsmas (to replace the other camera) which uses xD type memory cards. I had to get a 128 MB xD card along with the camera just because of this even though she had a couple of Smart Media cards already. Fuji abandoned Smart Media.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2004, 11:48 PM   #14

Isn't Smart Media the one that tops out at 128MB, and is pretty much dead anyway?

I really like that Kodak shoots 4x6 aspect ratio by default. Not sure why the other manufacturers haven't picked up on that. I hear so many people complain that, in the end, digital camera pictures look like video. It would go a long way to eliminate that by getting away from the video aspect ratio.

I can tell ya that I'm not looking forward to cropping every snapshot I want to print because Fuji wants their picture to display well on television.
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2004, 7:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Shows
I really like that Kodak shoots 4x6 aspect ratio by default. Not sure why the other manufacturers haven't picked up on that. I hear so many people complain that, in the end, digital camera pictures look like video. It would go a long way to eliminate that by getting away from the video aspect ratio.

I can tell ya that I'm not looking forward to cropping every snapshot I want to print because Fuji wants their picture to display well on television.
Amen to that!! I don't take pictures to have me or other people glued to the computer screen when showing them. I take pictures to be printed without hassle and put them in an album (a real one with real pages you flip) and take it anywhere to show to other people without needing a computer. My Kodak digital camera allows me to do just that easily.

Having to crop every picture so that the Fuji Frontier printer at the nearest Walgreens won't make the choice for me is no fun at all.

Also I don't care that I get black borders at the top or bottom of the screen when viewing in the computer.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote