Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Aug 10, 2006, 5:45 PM   #1

Well, I bought another battery for my P850 and I bought it off Ebay. I know, I was warned! lol But he had excellent feedback and the price was pretty good. So I got it this morning in the mail. Put it on the charger and it is still charging (the red light is still on). Should it be taking THIS long to charge? It's been on there between 6 and 7 hours now. The light on the charger was blinking for a few minutes so I unplugged it and plugged it back in and now it's just solid red. Should I have just listened to those who said stay away from batteries on ebay? lol

Niki
scrappynik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2006, 6:28 PM   #2

As an old repairman I have to ask...is it possible to put the battery in backwards?
domang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2006, 6:33 PM   #3

Hi Niki, I just read your other post about easyshare and had a thought...have you checked for loose cables, my dogs like to hide under the computer desk durng t-storms.

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2006, 6:52 PM   #4

The way they are made makes it almost impossible to put them in the wrong way!! Nik!!! How about putting it in the camera and see how long it lasts??? An initial chargeup on a new battery with the rapid charger should only take 3 hr. If you put it in the camera and shoot with it until it is discharged it probably is alright! And it will probably charge up correctly the next time! Next time though....(yeah I'm gonna say it) Go with the Kodak one then at least you can return it for a new one if it malfunctions! Hope it works out for you!!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2006, 8:08 PM   #5

I would be careful and watch this battery close so it doesn't explode....7hrs on charge without the red light going off.... the battery chemistry may not be fully compatible with the kodak charger. What happens when you use the battery in the camera? Any problems? Does it show full charge?
aeroshep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2006, 8:47 PM   #6

Well, I looked awhile ago and it's fully charged.I have not tried it in the camera yet. I'll test it out tomorrow to see how it does and how long it lasts. The guy I got it from on Ebay offers a one-year guarentee on the battery so I can always return it if it's not up to par. Next time, yes, I will definatly spend the extra $ and get a Kodak, lol. Oh and Dan279--I will check the cables...my cat is a bit of an explorer and somehow gets in the oddest places, lol.

Niki
Old Aug 10, 2006, 8:58 PM   #7

dawg is correct, it should only have taken 3 or 4 hours for the initial charge (they give us rapid chargers w/ these cameras). You don't have to worry about the battery exploding on you if you leave it in the charger extra time, Li-ion batteries are not known to blow up, NiCad and NiMh are, and so those chargers usually have a built-in feature that stops charging automatically (but not always!). There's only one way the battery fits in the charger, and the original rapid-chargers don't use wires (at least the original kodak k5000 ones, all the aftermarket ones I've seen do have wires).

Anyone who offers a warranty on eBay is confident of their products, so I wouldn't worry too much. You CAN buy genuine kodak batteries on eBay, but there are some which are marked like the genuine but are knock-offs from other countries, I think I may actually have bought one of these myself, but I definately have 2 genuines.

Really the only thing to worry about with Li-ion batteries is swelling, which CAN come as a result if you leave the battery charging for like, weeks. This could be a real problem seeing as these batteries are completely enclosed in the camera and must slide out (vs. say a cell phone, where you remove a cover panel and the battery pops out). As your batteries get older (100 charges or more), just look closely at the side view of them to see if they are still flat, or are swelling. If it starts fitting tight in the camera, it's probably time for a new one!

I dont know if you ever did this, but be very careful not to put your battery in the camera with the contacts reversed, I did that on a dx7630 I had at work and it took alot of time and cautious prying to get it back out.

Oh yeah, side note: I contacted kodak (much later than I should have) and they're sending me replacement prongs for my charger. Yay!
wizbummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2006, 11:07 AM   #8

wizbummer wrote:
Quote:
I dont know if you ever did this, but be very careful not to put your battery in the camera with the contacts reversed, I did that on a dx7630 I had at work and it took alot of time and cautious prying to get it back out.

Ummmm....yes I did do that once to my dx7630 when I first got it! What a pain trying to get it out!

Niki
Old Aug 15, 2006, 7:23 AM   #9

I don't think your charger checks to see if the battery needs a charge. The charger just goes through the steps for a full charge. If you terminated the charge mid cycle it just starts over from the start for a new full charge.

Batteries from other companies are just fine so long as they have the same specs. Kodak does not make batteries, they contract providers.

Just like the big Dell laptop battery recall going on now were made by Sony for Dell.

BiLL
bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote