Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Aug 12, 2006, 10:53 AM   #1

Well, I found a great price for the P880. (349$) At BHphotovideo and at beachcamera.com. I found the P850 for even more than that at Beachcamera. And, the P712 is also more than that. (for now... <_< )

I like how the P880 has a manual focus ring and zoom ring! But, it does lack a certain zoom factor. and IS.

I do a lot of macro shots. Flowers and stuff. So, the supermacro is tempting. Also the wide angle lens seems cool. I'm thinking of it as a last resort maybe. If the P712 is still over 400$ by christmas, and, I can't find the P850 for below 300$, I would probably go with the P880.

I know a couple people have P880's here. I would like to know how you like it.

Cheers.

-RangerEn
En121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2006, 4:15 PM   #2

For the type of photography you mentioned, it would do wonderfully. The relatively low zoom (5.8x) gets to me sometimes, I just can't take the shots I want to because of it, but for macro you don't need super telephoto zoom. With the manual focus ring, you can fine tune the auto-focus or do the whole thing by yourself, which is particularly handy for macro shots.

Aside from the zoom, I've been satisfied with the camera. The low-light performance leaves something to be desired because you get noise over ISO 200, but that's really the case for almost all non-dSLR cameras.

For $350, that's a pretty good deal! I got mine for $400 in january, as a second owner (unwanted christmas presents = good deals )
wizbummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2006, 8:28 PM   #3

Well, the 5.8x zoom is more than our current 3x zoom. But, I really have to decide if I want a good action/macro/landscape camera. Or, a camera like the P712 that has the really long zoom. With a decent macro. With IS.

The P880 is probably a last resort. If the P712 is still to pricey by Christmas. I think the P712 will be good for wild life photography. Our current camera has a macro focus ranger of 4cm. The P712 is 3.9cm... And, I can get pretty cloose with 4cm. And a little zoom. I'd probably be able to do he same with the P712. Though, the manual focus ring and zoom ring are tempting. Along with the wide angle lens. Ooooo its so hard to decide! >.< I think I'm leaning towards the P880 right now. It has some really cool features. VERY tempting. And its a great value for the money...

I don't think I'll be doing low-light shots. Not really my style.

Thanks.

-En121
Old Aug 14, 2006, 8:35 AM   #4

I've tested my P880 under every possible condition and it performs excellent in all.
It depends what you like really. The P880 has a more professional DSLR look and feel, but is bigger and heavier than the P850.

If you're into your zoom, get the P850. If you're looking for a good high performance all-rounder and are willing to invest in some additional lenses, go for the P880.

If landscapes are more your thing, the 24mm wide angle on the P880 is a must.

I've owned a fair few advanced digital cameras over the last 2 years and nothing comes close to the P880.

I cannot recommend this camera enough.

With regards to Wizzers low-light comments... I disagree. I shoot over 1000 images each weekend, the majority of which are taken in dark nightclubs and I have had no problems whatsoever with the brightness, colour or sharpness with ISO 200. The LCD is bright and clear and the flash is powerful enough to photograph a large dark room.
With a little manual tweeking this camera will perform well in even the darkest conditions.

The photo featured here was taken in a very dark nightclub. As you can see, bright as a button.
Attached Images

TheMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 9:01 AM   #5

Hey there!

I personally would recommend the P880 for both landscape and macro-shots, however if you plan on doing wildlife, the P850/P712 will blow it away in that department. It depends on the photographer!
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 10:03 AM   #6

Well, I am planning on getting a TCON17. But, I also want to do some wildlife shots.... <______< Hopefully a TCON can help... I want the P880 for low noise, (lower than the other two anyway...) Manual rings, 24mm lens, supermacro...

We don't have a lot of wildlife around here. The 12x image stablized zoom of the P712 is tempting... So is the P850, but thhat's really hard to find for a good price. (below 300$)

I don't think any of my wildlife shots will be from really far away. The finches at our house sit and feed on some flowers. And we have a couple humming bird feeders. I guess I'm gonna have to do into a store and test how much 5.8x zomm really is. See if that's enough.

Thnks guys.

-En121
Old Aug 14, 2006, 5:29 PM   #7

Machine, "low light" is kind of nullified if you use the flash! For my pics in low light, I can't use the flash because it may disrupt performers, and there are other low-light situations where a flash should/could not be used!

Oh, and the olympus tcon17 has shown (on another forum, I'll try to find the link) to not work very well with a P880. Strange, pics with a P850 + tcon17 come out very well, but something about the 880 just doesn't like olympus!
If you go that path, look for a schneider 1.4x (kodak sells for $150 but you can get it around $100) or maybe dabble with a raynox tcon (no data on that in regard to the 880!)
TheMachine wrote:
Quote:
The photo featured here was taken in a very dark nightclub. As you can see, bright as a button.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 5:49 PM   #8

couldn't find the thread on the other forum (got erased or something???) anywho, here's the thread on THIS forum where I was trying to figure it out, it gives a bit of a summary of what the other site said:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=18
Old Aug 14, 2006, 6:23 PM   #9

Hmm.... Will I need an adapter for a Raynox 52mm? What threads does the P880 come with on its lens? I don't think I want the 1.4x one... That's not enough.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: does anyone know about the canon TCON's? They have a 52mm one with 2.4x....
Old Aug 14, 2006, 8:57 PM   #10

I think I'm gonna go for the Raynox DCR-1850PRO.... Looks good. and its a good magnification.