Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Aug 14, 2006, 2:03 PM   #1

Hey all, I wanted to resize some pictures and print them as 12 x 18 inches. Anyone who's done this before (or printed even bigger), could you tell me how you resized the picture (I use photoshop elements 4).

I'd also like to know if any one of these shots would be better for enlarging (I'm going to post 3 here)

Attached Images

Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2006, 2:04 PM   #2

Attached Images

Old Aug 14, 2006, 2:05 PM   #3

I should note, these shots are saved in Quality 5 JPEG, I do have the high quality ones saved and thats what I'd use to print.
Attached Images

Old Aug 14, 2006, 3:07 PM   #4

I have never used PS Elements, but in Photoshop I would go to the menu: Image > Image size dialog. Since you are only going to 12 x 18 I would deselect "Resample Image" and change the width dimension to 18. This will reduce your nominal DPI, but should still give you a good print. Going bigger than this (poster sized) would involve a different technique.
Attached Images

FaciaBrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 3:09 PM   #5

Deselect Resample Image
Attached Images

Old Aug 14, 2006, 3:11 PM   #6

Nice pictures.
:-)
To re-size with Elements 4... Just click image - resize - image size and then where it says document size. Change it to inches and put the size you want into that. BTW you need to un-tick constrain proportions.
12noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 3:27 PM   #7

I think #3 will do a nice 12x18 !!

I did some 12x18 and I was happy with the results:-)
Boily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 4:33 PM   #8

You have photos in a 4:3 format and want to print in a 3:2 format. You can NOT do that in the size box without distorting the photo or having white edges on the ends. Photoshop will not let you distort the image with "Resample" unchecked. Even if Elements will let you do that you don't want to.

Select the crop tool. In the boxes at the top put 18 inches in the width and 12 inches in the height. If you don't want to resample put nothing in the resolution box. The crop will be constrained to the proper proportions and you will end up with a 12 X 18 using all the pixels you didn't have to crop off to get the right proportions.

If you use all of the available width you will end up with 142 PPI. You can check that in the size box. The document size will be set to print the image at 12 X 18 and it will be in the right proportions if you want to resample it to a higher resolution. Most people would resample with 142 PPI. You would probably do best to resample using the Image Size dialog box as you can experiment with resample filters. Many people like "Bicubic Smoother" for an upsample. I prefer Bicubic to Bicubic Smoother but I'm in the minority on that. I don't use either as I have Genuine Fractals and actions set up for stepped interpolation.

If you ignore the raw and 16 bit instructions you can do this combination upsample and downsample with Elements. Be subtle with the sharpening. http://www.outbackphoto.com/workflow/wf_60/essay.html

This is what the crop tool looks like in Photoshop with the settings you need. I think Elements is about the same.

Attached Images

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 6:41 PM   #9

Good link Slipe.... I use Genuine Fractals (doesn't that sound like a disease?) in my office on a daily basis. Does a pretty good job.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 12:59 AM   #10

Thanks all. I have the cropping taken care of already actually!

And FaciaBrut, I have one question. You said a different technique would be used for posters... if it is used to make posters acceptable, wouldn't that mean that it would make a 12" by 18" better as well?

Thanks all for the help by the way!