Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Aug 16, 2006, 10:52 PM   #1

Hey all, is this Tripod any good?

I need to buy one but I don't want to spend too much.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...432&catid=

DESCRIPTION: The Optex Tripod includes many features: 3 way pan-head with auto lock quick release; pan-handle tension lock for secure positioning and easy adjustments; 2 bubble levels for fine adjustments. It doesn't stop there, its geared centre column with friction control allows for precise height adjustments. Extends to 63" / 160 cm.

I know almost nothing about Tripods, is this one any good? Is it missing anything? I would have posted in the Tripod section, but they get like one reply a week, and I want to buy this tomorrow.
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2006, 11:30 PM   #2

Yes, it is a good tripod for the price, my friend have the same one for his mini dv camera:-)
Boily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 11:56 PM   #3

Thanks Boily! I will pick it up tomorrow. It will be a nice improvement over my current mini-tripod (standing at an amazing 2 inches high)
Old Aug 17, 2006, 12:00 AM   #4

I like my tripods to put the Veiwfinder at eye level on me when I'm standing straight! Not as much bending for my old back! I also fold the legs together and use it as a monopod quite often!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 10:16 AM   #5

I don't think this tripod is quite eye level, it's 5'3 and I'm about 5'9, but it will be close enough. Especially since anything taller is twice the price.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 9:20 AM   #6

It's amazing what you can find in places like the Salvation Army, Goodwill and pawn shops... I recently found a nearly new KodakGear tripod at the Goodwill outlet near my house... $3 US. It was missing the quick release plate, but I found one in an old camera shop. It's a tripod that Kodak stopped distributing.... Black finish, yellow logo and trim. Very tall and very sturdy. I believe it's the exact same tripod as the Optex model you are considering.
Attached Images

FaciaBrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 10:35 AM   #7

never even thought about going to Goodwill... I remember a while back when I used to get drug around with my aunt, I always found these cool ext flashes at all her thrift stores... Maybe i should go see what other photo equip i can run into for practically nothing :-)
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 10:50 PM   #8

Thats not a bad idea. I did actually see a cheap Tripod, but it was missing that part that the camera attaches too, and I didn't want to go through the trouble of ordering one in.