Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Aug 18, 2006, 1:58 AM   #1

Hey everyone, I'm a little bit confused here. I plan to buy the Tcon17 in the next few months, and while I'm ordering that anyway, I figure I might as well get some filters.

But heres my question, what exactly does a macro filter do? I love my Macro photography so this is interesting to me. I have heard them descriped as a filter that makes things look closer... so does that mean it's the same as a Tcon? What is the difference between a Tcon and a macro filter?

I am also interested in a filter that limits the light coming into the camera, so I can use slower shutter speeds (say I want to take slow pictures of moving water on a very bright day). What is that kind of filter called?

Also, what other filters would be useful to have?
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 18, 2006, 7:20 AM   #2

On the most basic level the t-con (teleconverter) will multiply your "zoom" by 1.7x, where a macro filter will allow for cloer close-ups tham just in macro mde(the flower). Macro filters come in different sizes which can be stacked to get even closer (more like a magnifying glass)

There are more folks here that can better explain the difference, but that's how I see it.
Steve
syoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 8:54 AM   #3

Just wondering...are these used with the lens in tele or wide angle position?
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 11:11 AM   #4

Can be done either way as long as you can get a focus lock in macro mode and your subject is in focus! Some have even used the TCON-17 and closeup lens or macro filters ( they are the same thing) together and gotten good results! I prefer to move the camera closer as you will lose the wide angle F/stop setting ( low F/stop number) when you zoom in! This can cause a change in the depth of field and lose the blurring of the backdrop! Different stroke for different folks here and it all is a matter of preference!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 11:19 AM   #5

So if I stand in the same place and put on a macro filter, will the object be closer? Or does it just let me get closer before the camera stops focusing? (At full zoom I can't focus at closer than 2 feet).

Also, could anyone link me to some good ones on BHPhoto? I want to buy some with my Tcon17.

And lastly, does anyone know what those filters that limit the light entering the camera or called, or did I just make them up?:?
Old Aug 18, 2006, 11:35 AM   #6

They will change the focus zone on your camera and the only way to tell how a +2 or a +10 filter will affect your camera's focus is to have one and try it out!

A neutral density filter will lessen the amount of light entering the camera. They come in many different numbers and are either lighter or darker according to the number!

I'll give you the bhphotovideo link but you guys need to put them in your favorites and browse the items there sometime just to learn what some of this stuff does!

here is what it says below the filter at bhphoto. in the features tab

Neutral Density filters have several uses and offer the possibility to achieve otherwise unachievable results. ND filters appear grey and reduce the amount of light reaching the film. They have no effect on color balance.

Key Features
Neutral Density filters have four main uses [*]To enable slow shutter speeds to be used, especially with high speed films, to record movement in subjects such as waterfalls, clouds, or cars [/*][*]To decrease depth of field by allowing wider apertures to be used, which helps separate subjects from their background[/*][*]To decrease the effective ISO of high speed film (above ISO 400) and allow it to be used outdoors in bright situations [/*][*]To allow cine and video cameras (which have fixed shutter speeds) to film subjects such as snow, sand or other bright scenes which could cause overexposure [/*] • Neutral Density factors [*]ND.3 (exposure adjustment = 1 stop, reduces ISO 1/2) [/*][*]ND.6 (exposure adjustment = 2 stops, reduces ISO 1/4) [/*][*]ND.9 (exposure adjustment = 3 stops, reduces ISO 1/8) [/*]

And here is the link to those filters.http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...&Submit=Go

this is what the features tab has to say about the close up lens or filters!

Tiffen 55mm Close-up Kit (+1,+2,+4) are the simplest and least expensive method of close-up photography. Have you ever wished that your lens could focus closer than it does? Imagine that you could put a magnifying glass in front of your camera's lens.With Tiffen Close-up lenses, you can dive into the world of macrophotographywith a minimum of expenseand with a maximum of confidence.

Shoot your stamps, flowers in your garden, your jewelry collection and many other items. If you're thinking of insuring your collectibles, why not have a means of doing it without having to hire an expensive pro? Close-up lenses not only give you creative freedomto help show you a world up close that you never imagined, butalso serve as a functional and valuable tool to safeguard your possessions.

Note:Close-up lenses are available in individual "powers" (diopters)

Key Features
These lenses can be used individually or in any combination to achieve ultra-close focus
The maximum magnification achieved with these attachments will depend on the focal length of your lens as well as the actual close focusing capability of that particular lens
A +1 close-up lens will allow you to focus your lens somewhat closer than it already does; A +2 close-up lens will allow you to focus closer than the +1; A +4 lens will allow you to focus even closer than a +2
A +1 combined with a +2 will equal a +3, while a +2 combined with a +4 will equal a +6, and so on

And this is the link to the General brand ones at bhphoto video. $19.95 US.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 11:35 AM   #7

Quote:
So if I stand in the same place and put on a macro filter, will the object be closer? Or does it just let me get closer before the camera stops focusing?
It letsyou go closer before the camera stop focusing !!
Quote:
Also, could anyone link me to some good ones on BHPhoto? I want to buy some with my Tcon17.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Boily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 2:55 PM   #8

Thank you both! I will have to pick up some of those too. Next paycheck hopefully:-)8)
Old Aug 18, 2006, 3:04 PM   #9

Well I'm finally starting to understand this stuff, you guys rock!:lol:

One more question, are there any brands I should watch out for or are they all pretty good quality wise? Also, what kind of ND filters do you guys have? I'm thinking of buy a 3 stop one, but will that be too much most of the time?
Old Aug 18, 2006, 4:00 PM   #10

Ok, heres a few not so great pics taken with my cheapo set of close-ups from ebay, but they will show what can be done
All pics in auto mode, no cropping, no anything except resized
#1 a 1/4" thumbscrew, AA battery and lenses

Attached Images

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote