Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Aug 22, 2006, 7:26 AM   #1

Can someone share some tips of Kodak 6490, i have some questions...

1. If i take a landscpae in bright/day light than what aperture setting is requred and what colour mode is requierd (auto or daylight)

2. If i take a night shot like some building or some reflection light over water etc, then what aperture, shutter, iso setting is best for that shot.

3. And i think that '6460's have some focus problem in low light, becasue when i take indoor shot without external flash, it take time to fcous on subejct and sometime it focus but when i takn it it show outof focus picture. so what is recommned seting for indoor parties photoes, i mean in aperture, shutter, metering, and ISO also

Thanks in advance for suggestions

indianguy077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 22, 2006, 9:06 AM   #2

indianguy077 wrote:
Quote:
Can someone share some tips of Kodak 6490, i have some questions...

1. If i take a landscpae in bright/day light than what aperture setting is requred and what colour mode is requierd (auto or daylight)

2. If i take a night shot like some building or some reflection light over water etc, then what aperture, shutter, iso setting is best for that shot.

3. And i think that '6460's have some focus problem in low light, becasue when i take indoor shot without external flash, it take time to fcous on subejct and sometime it focus but when i takn it it show outof focus picture. so what is recommned seting for indoor parties photoes, i mean in aperture, shutter, metering, and ISO also

Thanks in advance for suggestions

Congrats for DX6490 and welcome to the forum.

1. For landscapes in daylight Apreture F5.6 would be great if light is enough, Auto or Daylight whitebalance would not make larger differences but daylight WB may render better skycolors.

2. Night shooting is pretty difficult, you need to use tripod for better results. Shutterspeeds from 1/2 or lower have to be used. In Night Whitebalance is also tricky (choose as per source of light), ISO setting should be according to light but better to keep it below ISO200. I mostly shoot at ISO80.

3. In low light DX6490 has few problems, it doesnt have AF assist light so it focuses slow. In low-light you may encounter not only off-focus shots but blurr also due to lack of image stabilization. You can overcome it by using flash and/or higher ISO, tripod etc.

Atindra
Atindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 10:12 PM   #3

For the night shots: If it's possible, use an external light source on your subject to get a reference point for it to focus, then remove the light to take the pic. I had done that w/ my 6490 and it worked great, but it won't be possible or it may not work for every situation.

Example: I was taking long exposures w/ one of my friends, so I had him hold a lighter in front of his face and that helped set the focus. A strong, tightly focused LED flashlight could also work well on inanimate objects.
wizbummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 10:20 PM   #4

wizbummer wrote:
Quote:
For the night shots: If it's possible, use an external light source on your subject to get a reference point for it to focus, then remove the light to take the pic. I had done that w/ my 6490 and it worked great, but it won't be possible or it may not work for every situation.

Example: I was taking long exposures w/ one of my friends, so I had him hold a lighter in front of his face and that helped set the focus. A strong, tightly focused LED flashlight could also work well on inanimate objects.

Will that work with the Kodak P850?? If it does, thanks for the tip that I never would of thought of!!!

shooting_rubber.:-)
shooting_rubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 12:18 AM   #5

Well yeah, I suppose it will work on any camera really... the 850 has a low-light focus LED though (that red light that comes on before you snap the shot) that helps. Doesn't always get it right, but at least it's somethin!

oh, you have to have it set on SINGLE AF!! otherwise it might adjust itself out from where it was. now when you do this, you have to keep holding the shutter halfway, otherwise it will re-focus when you press it a 2nd time, and that defeats the purpose of this. can be a bit tedious, cuz you have to do it for every pic sometimes.

Another reason I love the P880. Set it to full manual focus, you don't have to hold anything, the AF motor is turned off completely so you just set the focus once and take as many pics as you need.
wizbummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 12:34 AM   #6

Thanks for info, I m still looking more tips from users

regards
indianguy077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 12:37 PM   #7

I use the Auto mode for landscapes and the Cokin filter system! The system incorporates the Filter holder. a Cokin Polorizer, and several different types of Gradual Neutral density filters to tame the TOO bright sunlight! My favorite is the Gradual Gray filter No. 120. It really helps to tame bright bright clouds and sunlit skies! You can go here for a look at the Cokin filter system!

http://www.geocities.com/cokinfiltersystem/theguide.htm

Filters will not solve all problems in landscape photography but they do help enormously!

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote