Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old May 24, 2003, 5:21 PM   #1

Default Question about formatting memory cards

If I format a memory card, will the next picture taken will start with the lowest number again?

I never format my memory card, just dump the pictures in my hard drive and erase them from the card while in the card reader. Next picture continues with the numbering sequence and that it is very handy because I wll never have two pictures with the same name.

I am talking about a DX4330 camera.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2003, 8:47 PM   #2

erasing and formating is basically the same thing, the files on your computer will continue with the number system.
kschewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2003, 9:09 PM   #3

Erasing and formatting are not the same because the directory tree is left intact when erasing. I just delete the pictures from the folder where they are located.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2003, 9:52 PM   #4
NHL

... Actually when you format the card in the camera, the camera will again automatically create the DCIM directory and your camera folder name right below it. Kschewe was correct then. 8) BTW if you put that same card in a different brand of camera, it too will create another camera brand folder below the DCIM! 8) 8) 8)
As for the file numbering most cameras will remember where the last frame was with the camera internal memory, other rely on where the last picture was last at on the flash card, while some cameras do both! :lol:

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...233&highlight=
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2003, 11:35 AM   #5

I just tested the camera, i took pictures uploaded then erased, i repeated the same thing instead i formatted. The directory number system continued where it last left off in both cases. This was done on a kodak dx4900.

Like NHL said I believe the kodak cameras rely on an internal cam memory to continue. I won't say this for all cams since I only have experience with kodak, and a few others
kschewe is offline   Reply With Quote