Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Aug 24, 2006, 12:06 PM   #1

Hey Gang,

Man I've really been exploring my 850. There has been some seriously rough moments but they're outweighed by the good ones.

I read about HDR pictures [google flickr hdr] and have been attempting to pull off a good one. This is the best I've gotten so far. I use photoshop cs2's "merge to hdr" function to combine all the pictures into a single hdr. This particular one was tone-mapped in photoshop with the photmatix plug-in.

My question is what settings are best for capturing the 3 to 5 shots needed to make an hdr pic?Should I take them individually or use exposure bracketing? Anyone else messing around with this technique and a Kodak?

Thanks, Jason

missionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2006, 3:10 PM   #2

I don't remember seeing any discussion threads on HDR in this forum. Personally, I've read a little about it and it seems like an intriguing technique, but I just never have the time for digital artistry. Maybe Boily?
FaciaBrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 3:15 PM   #3

Great result, I like the ambiance of this picture:-)
Boily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 9:20 PM   #4

I like it too. But I've not heard of or played with the technique!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 7:36 AM   #5

Nice shot , dear .

I know the HDR Techniques but not familier with more . Working on this technology.

indianguy077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 11:45 PM   #6

Sorry gang, I've been away from my email.

This HDR (high dynamic range) technique is really new and not so new. It's new to me. I strongly encourage anyone looking for another way to be artistic with their photography to check it out. There are some impressive, inspiring examples of this method out there.

Now I'm completely new to this so I'll just tell what I know/done thus far. I'm a sponge for any kind of info I can get my hands on.

The basic method I'm using with my 850 is using the 5 exposure bracketing function. I take (tripod) 5 pictures of the same object at varying exposure levels. The first couple capture dark highlights and the last capture the brighter highlights. You then merge the 5 differnt photos into a single HDR image. The HDR imageexposes ALL of theshadowsAND lightness detailsfrom the series in one single HDR photo. The effect is quite remarkable with some subjects and others just look like a got a good single shot.

I use software called Photomatix to accomplish this merging. The color I obtained in the photgraph here was through Photomatix's tone mapping feature. I tone mapped the final hdr image.

You can use tiff and raw as well. I'm just using high res jpg's for now.

If this technique fascinates you as much as I, there's lots of info available. For straight eye candy google the "flickr hdr" group. They got this thing down.

Old Aug 30, 2006, 2:11 AM   #7

here v find more Pic's example of HDR Tech, Really this is very great tech.

http://www.hdrsoft.com/images/more_e.../blending.html
&
http://www.hdrsoft.com/examples.html

Old Aug 30, 2006, 2:14 AM   #8

And here v find more abut HRD tech

http://www.hdrsoft.com/support/faq_p...ml#differences

Old Aug 30, 2006, 4:25 AM   #9

The shot of the Venice water way is a great one. Theshot with the 2 people feeding the birds is extraordinary.

I guess I'm just sticking to static subjects (structures and such) I'm not quite sure how it's done with human subjects with the muti shot/exposure method. I've tried and I always get movement. Even the slightest bit messes the whole thing up.

I've read somewhere that one could possibly take the shot in RAW, exposure process it into three different photos in photoshop and then merge them together into the HDR. I'm not sure what that would accomplish though. I'll have to try it.

My wife says "that's great...all those buildings....but where are the pictures of the kids?" If my kids could only be that still for a moment!

The other link looks like lots of great info. I'll read up more. It's certainly worth it.

Thanks,

Jason
Old Aug 30, 2006, 4:48 AM   #10

Yes is very difficult to take or create people's pics in this technology.

and BIRD :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Anyway you try and i m also try for this one.