Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Aug 25, 2006, 11:45 PM   #11

Wow Ron, those are amazing! I've always been facinated by lightingbut have never gotten a decent shot of it. I love the first photo!

Niki
scrappynik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 11:46 PM   #12

WOW!!! AMAZING SHOTS! #1 and #4 stand out as the best, though. These are stunning....Wow. I'm stunned. Great job. The first one is breath taking. O_O
En121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 12:15 AM   #13

Outstanding. I love lightning but havent got the hang of shooting it yet.
aytheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 12:24 AM   #14

I can totally relate with that ronpete, most of the time before now, I had been shooting 5mp fine jpegs. Several would come out pretty well, but in hindsight there were lots that I could have made so much better if I had just used RAW instead!

Especially in the case of lightning, I soooo desperately wish the 880 would respond and process faster. I even have a high-speed card in my camera, but apparently the 880 only supports SD 1.01 (the slower, 12.5mbps max) instead of SD 1.1 which supports 20mbs. The buffer also isn't very large. At best it would be the full 32mb internal memory, which in terms of an 8megapixel RAW file, that's uh... 2 pics.

I still would say try post-processing on #5! That was a massively powerful bolt (as illustrated by all the arcing around it!), and it was so bright that it washed out some of the detail and possibly some neat colors; you get all kinds of purple, green, red, and blue arcs on lightning like that! The best you might be able to do is turn up the contrast all the way, lower the brightness, and adjust the saturation... I don't know what else photoimpact can do? Oh, and I had mentioned in another thread that there's an update out for Photoimpact 11 that supports kodak RAW.

Sorry if I seem pushy about using RAW, but after recently digging into CS2 I found that there is so much more that can be done with it than JPEG! You can adjust the shadows and highlights, tint, color temp, and exposure, all on top of those things I listed above, and have more precise control over it than JPEG. Also, since it's recorded the exact information that the image sensor recieved, it's basically like you have a 2nd chance at the shot, being able to use different settings (well, aside from lens settings)

Ya'll should have plenty more storms coming, get some good shots but more importantly be careful!!
wizbummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 12:40 AM   #15

Geesh do I feel dumb...:angry:

I've been using PI daily now, and didn't realize that it does support Kodak RAW, so guess what... I'm going to start using it.

Thanks Wiz for the tip..

Ron
ronpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 6:40 AM   #16

Great shots.

Please keep that lightning in Kansas. :-)
domang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 7:54 AM   #17

Wow from me too !..very good captures

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 9:59 AM   #18

Not a good night to wear your "Tom Terific" hat

BiLL:idea:

Tom Terrific was a cartoon on the Capt. Kangaroo show and could change into anything he wanted. He traveled with his dog "Mighty Manfred" the wonder doog.

Real cool cartoons for 1957

bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 1:26 AM   #19

Those are some great shots!

sameroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 6:56 AM   #20

Thank you for your replies..:-)

Just out of curiosity I played with the last photo. I wanted to see if the extreme brightness causing the wash-out was due to multiple bolts captured together. I found it to be a single bolt. There must have been enough electricity in it power the country for a few years...:shock:

Ron
ronpete is offline   Reply With Quote