Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Aug 26, 2006, 10:03 AM   #1

Hi,

I've had a P880 for about a month, and really like it. I like having all the manual control possibilities (I haven't been able to do much with manual focus, but with then again, as long as I can tell the camera where to focus, it can probably do a better job than I could).

I find the "A" mode to be very handy when I don't have much time to prepare a shot, and want to make sure I haven't left some setting in an "experimental" state. The one quirky thing that I've found is that it seems to want to stay in the low ISO regardless. For example, it will choose ISO 50 with 1/8 s. Under most circumstances, hand-held, I'd prefer ISO 100 and 1/15, or even ISO 200 and I/30, for the best ballance of noise and motion blur. It's turning out that lot of my shooting is in light levels that produce this situation.

Do all of them do this sort of thing, or is there something quirky about mine? If the former, can anyone guess why they would program it this way?

Thanks.
target is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2006, 12:26 PM   #2

Very good point, Kodak should have considered this particularly when they dont provide image stabilization. I feel Kodak P880 is first step in right direction and in next upgrade they should address ISO/Noise issues and should provide IMage stabilization.

Atindra
Atindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 2:51 PM   #3

Well the 880 doesn't have auto ISO in the manual modes, in Program mode it lists it as an option, and in full auto you can't even select it.

If you mostly stick with Apeture priority, you have control over what ISO you use.
wizbummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 6:24 PM   #4

wizbummer wrote:
Quote:
Well the 880 doesn't have auto ISO in the manual modes, in Program mode it lists it as an option, and in full auto you can't even select it.
Sorry, I said "A" mode when I meant "auto". I've assumed that in "auto" the system is figuring out the best ISO, but in reality it seems to settle on 50 regardless.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 10:43 PM   #5

It settles on 50 because you get less noise and a sharper picture with the lowest ISO! Mine a DX6490 only goes down to ISO 80 but in auto mode and low light it picks ISO 80 and then adjusts the shutter speed and arperture to get the right exposure! With mine I can go to P or Program mode and set the ISO to the one I want. This is very simular to auto mode but I can pick my ISO and the camera adjusts the arperture and the shutter speed to match up with the ISO I want! Try it I think you'll like it!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 4:18 PM   #6

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
It settles on 50 because you get less noise and a sharper picture with the lowest ISO!

Dawg
Well, I'd disagree about getting a sharper picture at ISO 50 IF it means needing a shutter speed of 1/8 s.

I use that P mode with a manually adjusted ISO, myself. I just don't think a higher ISO should have to be manually set in lower-light situations.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 6:36 PM   #7

The 1/8 shutter speed is not a hindrance to sharp photos if the subject is still, you are using a Tripod and shutter release cable or you set the camera's timer to shoot the photo. Sorta hands off! And I didn't say that everytime the ISO 50 setting was the optimum one to have I just stated that that is the thinking that went into the program to run your camera. Sometimes things should be rethought and I believe this is one of those times! You asked I answered. If the answer isn't suitable then ask again and someone else can give you an answer you may like better! Happy shooting.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 10:45 AM   #8

target wrote:
Quote:
I use that P mode with a manually adjusted ISO, myself. I just don't think a higher ISO should have to be manually set in lower-light situations.
Most cameras in Auto mode will not go to higher ISOs as well asin P, A, S or M modes. You need to choose ISO setting according to available light. I have not handeled P880 but I guess I will never cross ISO 200 in Auto mode by itself. ISO settings on digital camera are simply increasing sensor's sensitivity toward incident light by increasing gain and that will result in noise also. Camera's programmed CPU is not programmed to deliver noisy images out of camera particularly in Auto mode.

When you try to shoot in a dimly lit room at Auto with P880, it will give you red-dot for exposure warning, now you do yourself two tests

#1. Turn the flash on, exposure warning will go off, because light is enough for camera in case of flash on mode.

Higher ISO have to be manually set in lower-light if you want proper exposure without changing shutter speeds (particularly in concerts etc). Panasonic claims intelligent ISO function with FZ50 model and I guess it senses light and automatically adjusts ISO instead of changing shutter speeds, apreture etc.

#2 Bump the ISO to 1 or 2 stop higher again exposure warning will go off because the gain on cameras sensor has been increased and its sensitivity to light is more now than prior.
Atindra is offline   Reply With Quote