Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Kodak (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/kodak-24/)
-   -   Question about this shot (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/kodak/99125-question-about-shot.html)

aytheon Aug 26, 2006 11:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The pic of this rose was taken just afer dark as the flower was closing up. It was taken with three filters stacked togather. a uv, cir. polorizer and a warm filter. The colors and contrast seem to be pretty good, but i have read that it is not a good idea to stack so many filter togather. Could the shot have been better with out the filters,

Boily Aug 26, 2006 2:33 PM

First of all, there is almost no reason of using these filter with a flash...

They work with the sun..For example, you have to be at 90 degrees from the sun to have an effect with the polarizer... You will get better results with the warming filter when there is a lot of sun...

bigdawg Aug 26, 2006 7:37 PM

Same for polorizer as it works best at 90 degrees to the light source! In low light I usually lose the filters as they tend to cause the camera in P mode or auto to go down one stop per filter thus darkening the shot and causing some cameras with auto fill flash to trip the flash on and spoil the shot!Hard to shoot flowers with a flash as the light is so harsh and the subtle shadow caused by daylight are gone and replaced by harsh shadows! Just my opinion!

Dawg

aytheon Aug 26, 2006 11:30 PM

Thanks Boily and Dawg. your opinions and comments are more than welcome to me. remember this is all new to me, I have only been doing this for three months since i bought the camera. My other camera was one that takes the floppy disks and was only used for pictures of the family and kids and a little for work. and have never used any accys, like filters or lenses. so when i decided that taking pictures of all the things that i see while im out and about was something i wanted to do i bought the 850 and decided to jump in with both feet and either sink or swim. and the advice and comments i get here to me are pure Gold. Just after i bought the camera i made a trip to Phoenix to look into the filters. I went to a camera store and was told by the person in there that the filters i was interested in mainly the cir. polorizer was not needed with a digital camera as they were made to be used with film cameras that used mirrors and prizims and would realy do no good with digital. So i did not get it. Then i found this forum and began reading all i could here and found that the advise i got at the camera store was untrue, so I gather that there is a lot of misinformation out there, but here on this forum i have got nothing but good help and encouragement So again i say thank you to all here for helping another newbe

AY

bigdawg Aug 26, 2006 11:37 PM

You are most welcome. I too was and still am to a certain extent a newbie. Most of the info I've gotten over the last year and a half has been from this forum and from the Easysharers forum. I've found by and large that most folks on those forums are friendly kind and above all helpful! I thank them here and now for the monster...ME... that they have created.. LOL I'm not taking all the blame here! LOLOL Have a good weekend and if you need to know just ask...I know I will! LOL

Dawg