Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Aug 27, 2006, 7:55 AM   #1

Boily's recent post raises, for me, a question: What exactly is 'panning'?

Is that following a movingsubject through a scene as Boily did? In motion pictures(movies) I've thought that meant moving the camera across a stationary or relatively stationary scene.

Just curious as to what is the right terminology for this stuff.
domang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2006, 8:51 AM   #2

Good basic article on panning: http://www.ephotozine.com/techniques....cfm?recid=221
FaciaBrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 9:42 AM   #3

Thanks, Face.

According to that, Boily's usage would be correct.
domang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 9:50 AM   #4

Panning is tracking your subject in the view finder.As you track/pann the background streaks (since it is stationary) in the opposite direction thus emphasising and at times exagerating the speed of the subject you are panning.

The secret to a good pannibg shot is not to stop at the moment of clicking the shutter. You should continue your pann during and after the shutter is hit. If not the subject can get out of the frame of composition or the streaked background will not be smooth.

Panning a stationary subject can at times be interesting as the streak of the stationary subject will be in the front rather than behind the subject.

Panning a child learning to ride a bike with trainer wheels and a slow shutter speed can look like he/she is going 30 mph if properlu panned.

BiLL

:|
bill2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 10:02 AM   #5

I also use panning to create panographs. You pan or move the camera in a level line while shooting in burst mode then use auto stitch to stitch them together later. Just a quick way to do it and not the best way! But it is my way! When done it can create a very good panograph! Otherwise the deffinitions above are the correct ones. Panographs get their name from panning the camera in a level line the joinning them thus my way is a form of panning also!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote