Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Aug 30, 2006, 1:59 PM   #1

What settings do I use to take pictures of hockey????By the way i have the p850???

shooting_rubber.
shooting_rubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2006, 2:21 PM   #2

You will need to use fast shutter speeds and use the lowest F stops to get the cleanest picture as possible:-)

You can also use the sport mode, I am sure it will make a good job too !!
Boily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 2:24 PM   #3

what iso???
shooting_rubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 4:55 PM   #4

Depends on the lighting. If its an outdoor game on a sunny day... lowest ISO as possible. If its stadium lights or something... ISO 100 1/500th shutter, and lowest ISO possible should do. (I think) Goodluck!
En121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 5:45 PM   #5

How high the ISO is really depends on where you are shooting. Ideally you would use F8, ISO 50 and a shutter speed of at least 1/250. You won't be able to do that unless you are photographing hockey played outdoors in very very bright sunlight.

Instead, I would first try widening up to F5.6 or F4 to let some more light in. Then set the ISO up to 80 or 100. See if this lets you take shots without blur. I'm not sure how fast you need to shoot to get no blur. 1/250 should do it for sure. 1/100 might be alright. These pictures might come out to dark however. So either open up the aperature all the way, or bump up the ISO until you can shoot fast enough.

Your other option is to accept a bit of blurriness in order to get a feel of movement. Shooting at say, 1/40 would give you significant blur, but something like 1/60 or 1/80 might just blur the hockey stick (a very nice effect I think). Basically it depends on the lighting and all you can really do is play around with your settings.
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 7:28 PM   #6

Don't count on the P850 to give you good results shooting an indoor sporting event. Best bet is to push the ISO to about 400 than use a noise reducer like Noise Ninja to try and clean up the images.
FaciaBrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 8:13 PM   #7

FaciaBrut is probably right if you have a noise reducer. I personally don't, so thats not an option for me. But it is very true that the P850 is not the best camera for this. In fact from what I can gather, Kodak is bad for ISO performance across their whole range of camera, (do they even have a camera that goes above ISO 800?)
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 11:42 PM   #8

The closer you can get, the wider you can set the apeture. Find a good spot or position/posture to steady the camera if you're going to be futher away, a tripod is certainly out of the question unless you're talking little-league or something. I'd also suggest shooting at least some of the pics in RAW if you've got the space on your card, so you can more cleanly adjust the brightness and other levels later on. You can shoot with a faster shutter and not have to worry so much about the pics looking a little dark on the camera.
wizbummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 12:09 AM   #9

(do they even have a camera that goes above ISO 800?)

They are called Digital Single Lens Reflex Cameras!! Or DSLR's for short!

I know for certain that the DX6490 and the DX7590 will go to ISO 800 but it reduces the resolution to a lower level! I've shot quite a bit with this setting but you lose clarity and gain substantial noise! If you want to loose some blur in sports shots learn panning. An ISO 0f 400 will do most of what you want! Be sure to try out different white balance to get the light right but for most sports arenas that are well lit Auto white balance seems to work pretty good! Use a medium to low F/stop and adjust the shutter speed to catch the action! I have never had much luck with the sports mode but the P850 may do better! Good luck....

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 8:10 AM   #10

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:

They are called Digital Single Lens Reflex Cameras!! Or DSLR's for short!

I think he was talking about Kodak having one that went over iso800...
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote