Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Sep 2, 2006, 11:50 AM   #11

I agree with FaciaBrut on the megapixel count for the most part. Although sometimes it's not good. If you get more good quality megapixels then it is the more the better. However, comparing some Casio cameras I noticed better image quality on their 6MP then their 10MP images.

I think MP are very important, but only if they have a good lens to go with it and a proper sized censor (cramming more pixels into the same sized sensor isn't always best).

However, in my case, more megapixels means more price, which is NOT better. I am willing to take a loss in MP in order to pay less. However, the 1000 ISO is VERY appealing to me, that is my one main problem with my Kodak P850. High ISO modes are pretty bad... (especially when I'm calling ISO 400 high!)
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 1:03 PM   #12

Faciabrut-

I saw the environment as a darker school hallway, where the plan was to not use flash, but to depend on increasing the ISO setting which is limited on the V-570. You would really be pushing everything to the max and noise and WB control would quickly become big issues.

If you then say: "OK let's add some flash."Then covering that 23mm wide angle format becomes a problem for the flash. As a result, you are forced into using bounce flash or an excellent difusser. So thephoto situationcould become more complicated than you want to deal with, and the size of the camera with slave flash on a accessory bracket might become larger than you want. The flash on the V-570 is somewhat limited in output due to the very small camera battery.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 1:10 PM   #13

Hmmm... I guess I took the more simplistic interpretation that Morag just wants to snap some shots in the school hallway.
FaciaBrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 6:37 PM   #14

faciabrut-

If you could keep the camera tosubject distance to 8 or 9 feet you could use the V-570's built-in flash. But as you will notice the flash distance on the V-570is shorter than normal. This fact is also mentioned in the www.dcresource.com professional review.

If morag could fill us in a bit more about the photo environment, perhaps we could settle any remaining questions.

MT/Sarah
Old Sep 2, 2006, 10:55 PM   #15

I was expecting to use flash actually, but now I have realized I probably don't have to. I think I'm going to go with a Fuji or Olympus camera. They seems to all have great high ISO modes. (The Fuji F30 has less noise with ISO 3200 then the Kodak P850 does with ISO 400:?)
Old Sep 3, 2006, 12:27 AM   #16

Morag-

You are so correct. I own a Fuji F-30 and it is an amazing camera. ISO 800 typically looks like ISO 100 or 200 on other cameras. You have made an excellent choice.

MT/Sarah
Old Sep 3, 2006, 12:40 AM   #17

Well Sarah, if you say it's good then I know it's good, although I am still not entirely sure. It's quite a bit over my price range, in fact, after I buy an xD picture card for it, it will cost $130 canadian more than my P850 did!!!
Old Sep 3, 2006, 11:42 AM   #18

Morag-

Here is a sample photo to show some of the F-30 capabilities. The photo was taken hand held, adjacent to a therapy pool, with no flash and under flourescent lighting. No, pp, other than resizing.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

Old Sep 3, 2006, 3:55 PM   #19

Very nice Sarah! I do really like the ISO capabilities, but like I said, I was hoping spend $250 Canadian on a pocket camera, the F30 with a 512MB xD card will be $480!
Old Sep 3, 2006, 4:34 PM   #20

Morag-

You will know what is best. I just wanted to share with you some of it capabilities. I carry the F-30 with me all the time.

MT/Sarah