Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Sep 2, 2006, 11:45 AM   #11

shootingrubber-

Here are the variables:

(a) As you zoom out with your P850 the aperture becomes smaller, thus allowing less light to enter through the lens. At full 12X zoom the widest aperture available is F 3.7.

(b) You can add more light by using a slave flash. A slave flash is fired by using a photo-electric cell circuitry on the flash that "sees" the on camera flash, in this case the P-20, and synches to that flash.

(c) As light levels fall, naturally the camera's shutter speed will also decrease, right when you need it high enough to stop some of that football action.

(d) The final factor is light absorption. There are no reflective surfaces like the white or off white walls that you find in homes or buildings. A football field environment will oops up a lot of light. As you see that is cross connected with variable (b).

(e) The traditional way to extend flash range is to either increase the amount of light by using added flash or increasing the ISO setting. To get beyond about 24 feet it takes BOTH more flash and increasing the camera's ISO setting.

It is a lot easier to get flash out to 35 to 40 feet. However, when that distance is doubled to 70 feet the ability to do that becomes a bit dicey and will require some experimentation.

Take a look at the attached sample photo. I took that photo at 40 feet and used a slave flash AND increased ISO. The second photo shows the Olymus E-300 equipped with the slave flash. I used ISO 800 as the ISO setting for the photo and took the photo with a telephoto lens.

So that is how to extend flash range. In your situation I think it will be pretty difficult because of the variables I have have listed above. I believe the primary issue is to find a powerful enough slave flash.

In the third photo you will notice that the Pentax DSLR is teamed up with a Vivitar DF-200 slave flash which is one of the more powerful slave flashes that I have found that also has a swivel and titable head. So what I am thinking that you will have to is:

(a)Use the Kodak FL-20 flash as your master or trigger flash.

(b)Team the FL-20 with a large slave flash like the Vivitar DF-200 mounted on an accessory flash bracket.

(c) Increase the ISO to at least ISO 200, perhaps ISO 400, but that could put you into the noise range.

(d) Experiment at several football games to see how far out you can get the light that you need.

I hope this helps.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 12:14 PM   #12

thank you mtclimber. so the p20 flash is not the way to go????

shooting_rubber.
shooting_rubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 5:26 PM   #13

shootingrubber-

I believe the P-20 Flash could work for you. It is also on sale at 15% off at the Kodak.com website for the Labor Day weekend.

I did some research on the P-20 flash on the kodak website (http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...q-locale=en_US) and their claim is that if you use ISO 200 instead of ISO 100, you can double the effective flash range. That would take it out to 60 feet. That is not quite the 70 foot maximum that you asked for. However, please remember that it might not take into consideration the somwhat reduced aperture when your P-850 is zoomed to 12X optical zoom, or the light absorption effect of a night time football field.

You might consider beginning with the P-20 flash and see what kind of coverage that you can get. If the photos are still too dark you can increase the ISO or add the slave flash.

MT/Sarah

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 11:47 PM   #14

thank you mtclimber!!

shooting_rubber.
shooting_rubber is offline   Reply With Quote