Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Sep 2, 2006, 4:07 PM   #1

hi guys ive seen you chatting about these various filters ive noticed boily and bill and co. use them. Due to my newb/noob ishness i originally thought they were for the outer lens element protection but im not sure. What are they for ? :-):whack:

thanks in advance - Red
Red Royalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2006, 4:35 PM   #2

I use mine for lens protection and supposedly a UV haze filter can help with the haze often encountered here at high altitude. (About 6,000 feet). They make good drink coasters too!

Here's a link to a brief description of most of the popular types of filters:

http://www.tedfelix.com/Photography/Filters.html

FaciaBrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 11:35 PM   #3

I use them all the time to help get the photo I'm after as well as to protect the camera's built in lens. A filter like a gradual gray filter can help prevent blowing out the highlights in a cloud shot or the photo of a white building by blocking some light and allowing other light to pass through! The same for a polorizing filter that helps see through reflected light from windows or water and the normal reflections encountered on a bright sunny day! My favorite filters are the Cokin filter system.....

http://www.geocities.com/cokinfiltersystem/

I use this system because of it's versatility and the results it can give me! Also I use the Tiffen Skylight 1-A filter as a UV filter and a lens protector. I also like the colors it gives me!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 5:35 AM   #4

thanks for your replys, ok now i know what they are used for, which one should i buy? does it have to be a kodak specific one or a general say UV one. Also how to the filters fit on or do they just clip on the the built on lense some way.?

thanks in advance Red :?:|
Old Sep 3, 2006, 7:22 AM   #5

Hi Red, first you will need an adapter tube that screws onto the front of the camera.Get the geuine Kodak adapter, which will give you 55mm threads on the outer end. You can attach any 55mm filter or lens. I think the most useful are the UV filter and the Circular Polarizer(CP) There's a wide price range out there, I've found Tiffen brand to be reasonable both in price and quality..Stay away from junk lens on ebay( not known brands)but some good deals can be had there on name brand stuff
Many of us leave the adapter and uv lens on all the time. Protects and doesn;t interfere with normal shooting.

Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 9:24 AM   #6

My 2 first filters were the skylight and polarizer !!

They are my favorites:-)
Boily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 12:59 PM   #7

thanks guys!!
Old Sep 3, 2006, 10:07 PM   #8

I like the Tiffen Skylight 1-A filter and the Tiffen polorizer filter! When not using those I stack a Cokin Series A filter holder on top of my Tiffen Skylight 1-A filter then add the Cokin Polorizer filter and the Cokin 120-a Gradual gray ND filter for outdoor photos!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote