Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Sep 2, 2006, 11:58 PM   #1

Well the deed is done. the oly tcon and some more filters are on the way from B and H Photo.
Any advise on the use of the tcon would be most helpfull. Is there any special settings where the tcon is realy effective or weak in? Or about care and cleaning of it. Any comments on this will be welcome.
also in the order is some Tiffen ND filters a 4x and 8x although i think tiffen uses the decimal scale. and a couple Hoya cross screen filters. a 4 and 6, I want to use these to put that little glisten in the crome on the engines i build. Spent all day today stuffing a 300 horse power 289 into a friends 67 mustang. I built the engine for him a couple weeks ago, and after installing it and doing the intital breakin and testing then we put all the chrome on it. would have been nice to have these filters here today to show it off.
Thanks
AY
aytheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 3, 2006, 12:02 AM   #2

Congratulations on the purchase.

I find it doesn't really focus well in low lighting conditions when the Camera could normally. It has some vingetting until you get to about 5X Optical Zoom...... Other than that use it all you want......

shooting_rubber.

shooting_rubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 12:05 AM   #3

Congrats... I still want a tcon... I hope you enjoy yours!
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 6:44 AM   #4

Hi AY, congrats, you're gonna have a lot of fun with that assortment
Care+cleaning= minimal, don't drop it, keep the covers on, and clean ONLY when
absolutly necessary. Same as you would the camera lens.
T-con= practice+ practice more, takes a little gettin used to.The more zoom you add, the more blur you get so try to brace against something or use a tripod.The IS should be a big help on this...I don't usemountain mode for the Tcon, I find it throws off the focus.
If you can catch the light reflecting in eyes with the cross screens, you can actually put stars in the eyes!!...For anyone interested, this can also be done in PhotoFiltre, its kind of a neat effect.
Dan

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 8:22 AM   #5

Nice purchase !!

I hope you will like it and I can't wait to see the results :-)

Boily

Boily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 4:24 PM   #6

Thanks for the responce. Im realy looking foward to using the tcon and seeing what it will do. there a lot of nature and wildlife shots that i have passed up cause of the distance or i went ahead and took the shot and even with full zoom the subject was to small in the center of the shot.
Another question.
after all the reading and research on the tcon's the 1.7x is just about the highest magnification out there. i have seen 2x in the cheep lens and one in the quality line but it was realy high priced. why is there not a higher magnification telephoto converters?
i did see a 4x for the p850 it was a off brand and only 60.00 did not think the quality would be there.
was just wondering or maybe i have not researched this full enough?
Old Sep 3, 2006, 9:02 PM   #7

You'll find that if you go much beyond the 1.7 or 2X the distortion increases dramaticaly. Also the longer tele convertors seem to give a soft edge look to the photos! Just been my observation! On Moon Shots the Digi- zoom will work pretty good with the TCON. But for most daytime shots ...to enlarge beyond what the lens can give you you'll need to crop in a post processing program such as photoshop! Have fun and ask away!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 1:50 AM   #8

Thanks Dawg. all of this order should be here in about a week. cant wait to test it out and try some moon shots

AY
Old Sep 4, 2006, 10:07 AM   #9

Looking forward to those AY.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 11:20 AM   #10

Hey Aytheon, I have some of that stuff in the mail right now too! Can't wait for that Oly Tcon!
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote