Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Konica Minolta (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/konica-minolta-26/)
-   -   z3 IS being released!!! (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/konica-minolta-26/z3-being-released-28586/)

pabennny Jul 2, 2004 11:00 AM

check this out :http://www.photographyblog.com/comme...d=3030_0_1_0_C

James Bond 007 Jul 2, 2004 3:29 PM

Hah. Went to local shop today to buy Z2. Was out of stock. Lucky me. :-) Will cancel order on Monday and wait for news.

Any independent sources confirming this?

Wavshrdr Jul 2, 2004 4:23 PM

If this is true I'll really be ticked off. I've had my camera less than 2 weeks now. Maybe they will address the lowlight focus issues as well as the audio sync (delay) in the movie mode. Otherwise I LOVE my Z2!

steve Jul 2, 2004 10:14 PM

http://www.steves-digicams.com/image...a_z3_slant.jpg

07/07/2004 update: Konica Minolta make it official with the Z3, Z10 and X50 press releases. See them here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/mi...004_z3_pr.html

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/mi...04_z10_pr.html

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/mi...04_x50_pr.html

-Steve

pabennny Jul 3, 2004 3:36 AM

:cry:september?oooooh ....isnt that tooo much to wait to buy a camera?

i just dunno what to do...to buy the the dx6490,z2 or c770 or to wait and buy the z3 or the rumoured dx7590......

what to do.....what to do...???????????

James Bond 007 Jul 3, 2004 3:46 AM

Steve,

Minolta announced the Z1 on 3rd Aug last year. That date is close enough for some rumors to leak out.

I'm not an optics expert, but supposing Minolta doesn't want a bigger camera, is it possible to put a 12x zoom in such a small place without sacrifying something important (aperture or CCD size)?

For the stabilized CCD, technically it's probably not a big deal, video cameras have this for years. What I don't understand is that what will they put into the A2/A3 to convince users to buy it?

If all the rumors are true, the Z3 will be the best-selling camera ever, IMO.

MrE Jul 3, 2004 11:57 AM

onwards and upwards I say. I'll just wait then sell my Z2 if the reviews are good, and jsut add some cash to my sale to get the z3 :-)

montrealqc Jul 5, 2004 11:56 AM

Hi !

And when the z3 will have been out there for a little while, the z4 will come, then the z5.

I think one should not wait for "the" camera to come out, but for "his/her" camera i.e. the one that suits one's needs (and one's talent/ambition/time to devote to picture taking/whatever other pragmatic criteria). There will always be something better somewhere. Is this not how maket ecomonies work?

M.

Wavshrdr Jul 5, 2004 12:45 PM

montrealqc wrote:
Quote:

And when the z3 will have been out there for a little while, the z4 will come, then the z5.

I think one should not wait for "the" camera to come out, but for "his/her" camera i.e. the one that suits one's needs (and one's talent/ambition/time to devote to picture taking/whatever other pragmatic criteria).
M.

I generally think this is good advice but what irks me is if true, the potential Z3release waspretty close to when the Z2 became widely available. I really like my Z2 but the audio sync in movies is very annoying. Since I didn't spend a lot of money on my Z2 it is somewhat of a "disposable" purchase for me and I am sure the new Z3 won't be much if at all more expensive than the Z2.

I don't need the IS lens and while it would be nice it is not essential for me. I DO however want the audio sync fixed and low light focusing too. Other than those 2 issues the Z2 is almost perfect for my usage. Great movie quality and enough zoom to be useful. If the Z3 is a 12X zoom I hope that start with more of a wide angle lens than tele.

This was my first Konica Minolta digital camera and overall I am pretty pleased. I had several Maxxum film cameras and was quite happy with them but nothing in their digital line ever caught my fancy until the Z2. However if I can't get Minolta to address the audio sync issues my camera will be going back under the 30 day return policy of the company I bought it from. The audio sync issue is a killer for me. I don't have time to do post processing of every video to get the audo sync right and more importantly I shouldn't have to!:P

How did this flaw ever get past QC checks? Even my 9 year old son could spot the difference. Why couldn't their engineers? I would have thought that if the Z1 had the flaw it should have been fixed by now. Minolta, are you listening?

I bought the Z2 because it fulfilled my current needs but only if the features work as promised!:D

T.

James Bond 007 Jul 5, 2004 1:40 PM

Doesn't the firmware upgrade to 1.02 solve the audio sync problem? I heard so.

Waiting for "my camera", yes, that's correct. And IS is a very good thing so I'm willing to wait a few more months.

MP4 compression of videos would be another nice feature. It's quality is a bit worse, but triples the amount of video that can be recorded on a card.

Wavshrdr Jul 5, 2004 2:27 PM

James Bond 007 wrote:
Quote:

Doesn't the firmware upgrade to 1.02 solve the audio sync problem? I heard so.

Waiting for "my camera", yes, that's correct. And IS is a very good thing so I'm willing to wait a few more months.

MP4 compression of videos would be another nice feature. It's quality is a bit worse, but triples the amount of video that can be recorded on a card.
Where can I get the firmware update and how do I check to see which revision is in my Z2? I poked around the menus and I can't find anything listing the firmware revision.I would have thought that I should have had pretty current firmware as I bought my camera about 2 weeks ago from a supplier that sells a lot of cameras.

After more searching I found the instructions on how to check firmware on my Z2. It appears I have the 1.03 (that is correct 1.03) firmware and I still have the audio sync problem. My camera shipped with newer firmware than what Minolta has on their website.

T.

Tinsnail Jul 5, 2004 5:01 PM

When i reported the problem to minolta, they said my videos looked fine to them.
they can't fix the problem if they don't believe it exists.

last time i buy a minolta, so whether the Z3 is coming out is a bit of a moot point for me :)

rolexng Jul 6, 2004 11:13 PM

Confirmed with offical announcement at Japan KM web site:

http://konicaminolta.jp/about/releas...707_03_01.html

Other web site report

Japan :

http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2.../konimino1.htm

China test report with detail product demo

http://article.pchome.net/2004/07/07/21782.htm

Pros :

Great, 12x, black body, AS function 4M

Cons :

Video reduce from 800x600 to 640x480 only.

Best Regards,

:cool::cool::cool:

James Bond 007 Jul 7, 2004 2:45 AM

Other pros:
- They say that you can silently zoom during video
- wide angle starts at 35mm

Other cons:
- Still no AF assist light (external flashes)?
- f2.8/f4.5
- no MP4 video compression

driliagor Jul 7, 2004 8:04 AM

Good LORD!!!

the DREAM camere is on it's way!!!

Me want one !!!

driliagor Jul 7, 2004 8:17 AM

BTW I'm choosing in black flavor ( less drawing attention, good for photographer)

shutterbuggy Jul 8, 2004 3:55 AM

The press release says:
"Combining the camera's 12x optical zoom lens with the 4x digital zoom gives photographers a 48x total zoom, perfect for taking distance shots at sporting events or when capturing distant subjects."

Now that's just another marketing mumbo-jumbo floating around. They must be thinking we're dim-witted dumba**es! :?

Otherwise the Z3 looks like a very nice cam for years to enjoy. :cool:

jackrussell Jul 8, 2004 6:33 AM

This looks like a camera to keep an eye on. I hope the price doesn't rocket because of the Anti-Shake feature. :-)

Gmshau Jul 8, 2004 6:26 PM

When is the release date for the Z3? They don't mention it anywhere in the Press Release.

ignavia Jul 8, 2004 8:54 PM

f4.5? Crap... Hopefully at 10x you still get f/3.7.

ignavia Jul 8, 2004 8:57 PM

The release is in September.

Soes anyone else hate the new design? The right handgrip was one of my favorite parts of the Z2. Sometimes I just hold mine because it feels so damn nice. I just don't see this one being like that. I hate the flash too. And about AF-assist, they say the AF system is improved, so it's possible that low-light AF will be better. Possible.

Gmshau Jul 8, 2004 9:11 PM

f/4.5 shouldn't be as big a problem now that the camera has Anti-shake. It's ok to use slower shutters! :cool:

Wavshrdr Jul 8, 2004 10:31 PM

Lets see if the audio sync with the video is still an issue. This is an incredible screw up! So what if it has IS (yea- I know the benefit) but if it truly is a slower lens then we are backing up. If we give them the benefit of the doubt hopefully at the focal length it will be equivalent to the Z2.

On the long shots at 10x I used a tripod so if the lens is slower it will definitely be a step backward. If they truly did approve the AF system that would be a plus. So hopefully Steve will get one to test soon and we'll know the real deal. Hopefully Steve will test the AV sync and see if they fixed that.

Gmshau Jul 8, 2004 11:30 PM

Any idea what the starting price is going to be?

murphyc Jul 8, 2004 11:52 PM

Thanks for posting the information, Steve. :cool:

I got used to the look of the Z1/Z2, but the black body is much better. The Z3 doesn't look like a toy. If the price is similar to what the Z1/Z2 were/are, Minolta should do well.

abergfeld Jul 9, 2004 12:24 AM

ignavia wrote:
Quote:

But you should pick up at least 2 stops with AS so you're still ahead of the game.

James Bond 007 Jul 9, 2004 2:18 AM

The Japanese PR talks about 6th August.

jackrussell Jul 9, 2004 6:07 AM

Anyone seen this. :-)

http://konicaminolta.com/products/co...-z3/index.html

montrealqc Jul 9, 2004 7:40 AM

abergfeld wrote:
Quote:

ignavia wrote:
Quote:

But you should pick up at least 2 stops with AS so you're still ahead of the game.
Hi !

It is not just a matter of IS compensating for aperture. It means we lose flexibility on choosing the appropriate/desired depth of field.

M.

ignavia Jul 9, 2004 9:12 PM

Another design question... Where are the two AF thingies above the lens? They're still present on the Z10. What do they do, anyway? I've purposefully covered them and was still able to AF just fine.

lclarsen Jul 10, 2004 7:24 PM

Hmm, it doesn't seem to be that much more advanced than the Z2. I would have expected at least a 5MP sensor in the next generation. I can't believe why they would hold on to the 4MP. And I'm still no fan of the switch finder system.

ignavia Jul 10, 2004 8:29 PM

Yeah, personally, I'm holding out for the Z4 unless I find a way to basically trade my Z2 for free.

montrealqc Jul 11, 2004 8:51 AM

lclarsen wrote:
Quote:

Hmm, it doesn't seem to be that much more advanced than the Z2. I would have expected at least a 5MP sensor in the next generation. I can't believe why they would hold on to the 4MP. And I'm still no fan of the switch finder system.
But the z3 does not use the switchfinder anymore.

M.

ignavia Jul 11, 2004 11:15 AM

yes it does.

steve Jul 11, 2004 2:00 PM

DiMAGE Z3 Specs:

Eyelevel Electronic Viewfinder (EVF), 0.3 inch 118,000 pixels

LCD monitor 1.5 inch TFT color, 78,000 pixels

I guess we'll know for sure when we get one in for review but it certainly looks as if they dropped the Switch Finder from the Z3.

ignavia Jul 11, 2004 2:24 PM

Really? Sorry, my statement was based upon the image of the back of the camera, but I guess it could look the same and have two separate screens...

jackrussell Jul 11, 2004 2:30 PM

I read somewhere that the mirror system of the Z1 and Z2 has been dropped in the Z3 for a proper EVF. :-)

Gmshau Jul 11, 2004 6:49 PM

lclarsen wrote:
Quote:

I would have expected at least a 5MP sensor in the next generation. I can't believe why they would hold on to the 4MP.

I thought that for a while too, but I think they probably intentionally made the decision not to use a 5MP sensor, because then the Z3 would be the same as the A1, except better. I don't think they want the Z series to pass the A quite yet.

ratlas Jul 12, 2004 1:16 PM

I asked this question on the Konica Minolta web site. Here's their answer:

Dear Customer,
In response to the question that you have submitted...
Question is : When will the Dimage Z3 be available, and at what MSRP?

Answer is : This camera is scheduled for release in early August.

James Bond 007 Jul 13, 2004 12:56 AM

Anybody has experience what 'release' exactly means? I guess sales start in Japan on this day but when is it expected to reach other continents?