Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Sep 6, 2006, 12:05 PM   #1

I knowmyDimage7i isgetting on a bit now but it's still going strong. I've been managing with a small CF card(128 MB)I bought at the time, (as I've been using a smaller camera on holidays, etc, for convenience) but would like to have the freedom to take more photos without having to download them every day. I'm a bit nervous about ordering a new one though, having read about people's problems with compatibility. The only one I've come across several times as certain to work is a Viking 512, but I would prefer to get a bit better quality than this, and, if possible to have a 1GB one.

The Minolta website does give compatibility for SanDisk up to 512 MB- but this is one of the cards I've read of compatibility problems with. Lexar is there too, but only up to 320 MB and I wanted something larger. It was purchased in Hong Kong with the current 128MB card - which is "Eagletech" - a brand I haven't come across in the UK.

Is anyone else still using a 7i and have you managed to upgrade the CF card? I have installed the firmware from Konica Minoltas website if that helps.
Jansheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2006, 1:09 AM   #2
Administrator

I did some digging around and found a poster that says he's using a 40 Lexar 2GB CompactFlash in a 7i with no problems, with a raw file saving in about 10 seconds.

So, you're probably OK up to 2GB (largest supported by a 16 Bit FAT). Some cards may not work right though. Minolta models are a bit "finnicky" with cards. For example, I'd avoid Kingston Elite Pro cards in Konica Minolta models (they tend to be much slower than most other cards in these cameras).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 10:00 AM   #3

Thanks. I was hoping that I could get either a Lexar or a SanDisk to work. Hopefully if a 2GB Lexar works, then a 1GB should.
Jansheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 3:50 PM   #4
Administrator

That should work just fine (a 1GB or 2GB Lexar). I just bought a couple of 1GB cards a few weeks ago (although in hindsight, I should have bought 8GB cards for newer models instead). lol

Outpost.com had 1GB Lexar 40X Platinum Cards on sale for $19.95 including ground shipping. So, I couldn't resist buying a couple of them at that price. They even work fine in an old Nikon Coolpix 950 I still have (as well as in my latest Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D).

Chance are, you're not going to see much speed increase with a Lexar card faster than around 12x in your model (and I've got one 4x Lexar Card that tests just as fast as 12x cards, too). Heck, this particular 4x Lexar card tests faster than a 50x Kingston Elite Pro in a KM DSLR. So, you can't really go by manufacturer's specs with KM models.

So, I'd look for sales and specials on them. They're usually one of the more compatible brands around.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote