Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jun 9, 2003, 11:28 PM   #11
NHL

IMO it's unfair to compare the D7i to a dSLR which I have also move up to, at two to three time the price the dSLRs ought to be (before even adding comparable lenses) faster! :lol:

In fact the D7i is one of the faster camera to come close to a dSLR in both operation and speed with the manual zoom & focusing rings. I doubt for a comparable price you can find a faster or more flexible camera... This is a fact of life on all cost sensitive consumer gears! The truth is I can only find another Nikon or two that can go as wide as the 28mm on the Dimage, but they both can't go as long @ the 200mm! There's also an abundance of other features not found on any other digicam such as the neat WYSIWYG, wireless TTL flash, real-time histogram as well as grid and scale that other manufacturers are just now trying to emulate 2 years after.

Another dark side to dSLR is compare to a D7i, they are significantly larger, heavier, and will require at least two lenses with the conversion factor to have the same reach... so know what you are getting into before spending the $ on dSLR. Also you'll find out that most other digicams will fall short @ the 35mm as well. ops: Long zoom has its benefit, but so is the wide for perspective... especially the CA free Minolta GT lens!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2003, 7:57 PM   #12

Agreed, the D7 and S2 are two completely different types of cameras.

I had to buy a Sigma 15-30 zoom to get the wide angle view I needed for my photography. That was $500 by itself.

I still think the D7 is an excellent little camera, and I still use it from time to time, especially if I want to travel *light* for the day. The S2 is a lot bigger and heavier than the D7. The image quality of the D7 is outstanding.

Usually, I use my D7 in manual focus mode, to avoid losing a shot due to the autofocus hunting. Since I usually shoot at the 28mm end anyway, I can also count on depth of field working in my favor too.

Do I get some out of focus pictures? Sure, but not nearly as many as I used to before the firmware upgrade to version 2.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2003, 9:20 PM   #13
NHL

Quote:
I had to buy a Sigma 15-30 zoom to get the wide angle view I needed for my photography. That was $500 by itself.
Isn't that true... Most folks go for mega-zoom, and here I was laboring on what wide angle to get! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've spent a long time too deciding on that same Sigma 15-30 for my 10D all the while realizing it's a better lens that my current choice, the Sigma 17-35... I think the HSM drive and the front filter thread is what did it in for me! ops:
Old Jun 11, 2003, 5:11 PM   #14

Hi -- Ok, color me stupid, I can't find where Infinity is (lol)....any help?

If this camera is not good for action shots, maybe I will sell it on Ebay and look for something else (oh how I wish I kept my Oly 2100UZ).

Any suggestions? I would prob spend about $1000.

Thanks.
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2003, 5:24 PM   #15

Hey Zach , I'm with you - I'll spend $1,000 for one if it's great for actions shots ! Only Olympus seems to have the cameras I'm interested in as far as features. But my c-2100 is almost dead. It's goin in for repairs really soon. I'm not giving it up until I find a camera that I want and will buy. Because if I send it in before I buy one, I'll be without a camera ...and that just will not be a good idea. Everyone that knows me will hate me...I'll be horrible without my camera ! - lol !
Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2003, 6:01 PM   #16

Hi Shelby,

Have you any prospects about what to buy? I used to be very interested in the zoom, but now with the filter things I am not as concerned. I am looking at the E-20, or possible the Fuji S602. Anyone have any ideas about that? Please help! I need something soon! Putting my Minolta (2 months old, used 3x) on Ebay.

Thanks.
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2003, 7:42 PM   #17

Hey Zach , yeah, I know what I want. I'm a birder - I love wild birds, and I photograph LOTS of them, all day long. And I also do the bugs and flowers - all nature! But birds are my mainstay , so I must have the zoom, and I don't want digiscoping because I can't take fast moving subjects with that. SO - I'm at a loss because Olympus is better for the zoom, but the cameras die quickly! And I don't know anything about the E-20 , sorry!
Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2003, 7:54 PM   #18

On the D7(i/Hi), put the camera into manual focus mode by pressing the small button on the left side of the camera (MF), then rotate the ring where the lens meets the body. One direction will get you too infinity (look in the viewfinder for a sideways 8 - thats infinity), the other direction will take you to close up distances.

You can also do manual over ride on the focus when in autofocus mode. Press the shutter release 1/2 way and allow the camera to autofocus. Now without releasing the shutter button, rotate the focus ring to over ride the autofocus.

The E20 may have better autofocus than the D7 series as I think I have read that it uses an autofocus sytem more similar to SLR's. Not 100% sure, so you will need to check that out.

Also not sure about things like shutter lag, etc.

NHL: I love my Sigma 15-30. I use it 90% of the time, especially when I go out to do street shooting.

As evidenced by the P&S market, it seems most consumers think bigger is better when it comes to zooms. What they don't realize is the difficulty of hand holding shots at long focal lengths, or how difficult it will be to shoot in confined spaces and get everything in.

Declan
Old Jun 11, 2003, 11:05 PM   #19
NHL

Quote:
As evidenced by the P&S market, it seems most consumers think bigger is better when it comes to zooms.
I'm with you on this as the other two posters have also indicated, they tend to concentrate on small objects... whereas we try to capture more not less! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would have gotten your Sigma 15-30mm too if it wasn't for the polarizer which I absolutely need since most of my pictures are of seascapes with lots of water and sky... I guess most of the long tele aficionados are also not aware of CA, which IMO the D7's lens excels @ as well :P :P :P
Old Jun 12, 2003, 7:48 PM   #20

I have read that some people are saying that you CAN use a front screwin pola filter with the Sigma 15-30.

I have not tried this 'yet'. But, with the 1.5x multiplier, we are only using the central portion of the FOV of the lens, so any vignetting caused by the filter is outside the visible frame.

I too love to use my polarizing filters and it was with a heavy heart when I made the decision to purchase the 15-30, knowing I could not use a polarizer. But now... maybe?

I will need to do some tests to check vignetting, but if it works, I would be a very happy camper.

Declan