Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jun 13, 2003, 8:39 AM   #21
NHL

I agree with you as well on that Sigma 15-30mm. Excellent point on that fillter! It would have been my 1st choice, no question asked, if I went for a Nikon mount camera as well.

I have to made the hard choice and settle for the lesser 17-35mm f2.8 optically because of the other feature of my camera, ie the HSM of the EX quiet/faster ultrasonic drive that let me overide to manual focus without having to toggle the switch.

Such is life!!! :?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2003, 10:11 PM   #22

Having used a number of different cameras over the years for macro images of moving subjects (tropical fish, insects etc) I have generally found the best answer is to prefocus on a stationary object the same size as the moving subject and the move the camera back and forth until the plane of focus is where you want it. Doing this will result either in a properly framed, properly focussed image or one that fails both of these. The autofocus can be used to set this distance before turning it off and shooting in manual mode or the focus can be done using the ring. If you are hand holding the camera, all you do is rock forward and back a mite to correct focus. If on a tripod, used a focus track that allows small changes forward and back. focussing changes the size of the field of view slightly at greater distances and significantly at very close range. Presetting the focus frees you from correcting the focus on the fly and then discovering the subject no longer fits the frame.
dougsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2003, 4:41 PM   #23

Default 'Focus on the fly'

Wished I'd tried the above suggestions for focusing at distance and speed. My wife was driving the 70 mph limit while I tried to capture objects through the window on our recent trip to Saskatchewan from Indiana.

Didn't do too bad despite not having my polarizing fliter along.
cald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2003, 10:06 PM   #24

Default 7i good

I used the 7i for sports. Look for some of my old post and take a look. I use manual focus mainly since my subject stays at a fixed distance. Now I have joined the 10d slr group, but still keep the 7i as a back up or for the 7fps.

Ken E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2003, 10:13 PM   #25

Default Minolta and ACTION shots !

Hey Ken - that is a fabulous shot ! I love that water !! Thanks for the info !
Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2003, 10:20 PM   #26

Default and another

went diggin for myself. Here are some of the better shots.

Old Jun 22, 2003, 10:20 PM   #27

Default and another

went diggin for myself. Here are some of the better shots.

Old Jun 22, 2003, 10:24 PM   #28

WOW !!!! Those are wonderful Ken ! Oh that color is wonderful. And the droplets of water caught - really great photos !! Thanks for sharing them with me.
Old Jun 23, 2003, 5:22 PM   #29

Hi Shelby,
I'm a little late chipping in here but I thought I'd clarify a bit of misinformation.
INFINITY is not where you think (on the Minolta 7Hi). The manual focusing ring will take you PAST infinity - so you can use some external teleconverters, etc. ALWAYS focus on something!!! We have done quite a bit of experimenting with trusting the distance settings and most users don't believe what the EVF reports. The best bet is to ALWAYS focus on something!!!
Using the 7Hi for action is no different than any other camera. If you take the time to practice with the camera before you get to the action - you will have much better results. The programmed action setting does continuous autofocus - but I haven't found it useful as it is always a bit behind. The motor drive is great, but the EVF blanks out for a fraction of a second - so if you're shooting 3 frames a second - you go blind.
The best results I have had have been to prefocus, then switch to manual focus. Likewise with exposure, take a shot & see what the camera picks, then switch to manual and tinker with apperture & speed (don't forget to lock in ISO). On manual the camera is very fast.

Best Regards, Dave
Dave_7Hi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2003, 6:00 PM   #30

Hey Dave - thanks alot - the info is still appreciated and in time. I ahve not made my decison yet on the new camera. I still see the 7hi as a little too expensive though. (for myself) And then having to buy lenses for the zoom I want. It's going to be too much $$ I believe. But I do seem to love that camera. Thank you for the reply !!