Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jun 9, 2003, 10:48 PM   #1

Default Dimage Xt vs Casio Ex-Z3

The dilemma facing most pple looking for a small-sized digital camera.

Any comments? Prices specs and all roughly about the same.
both has pros and cons

but more concerned with picture quality
anyone any idea?
danj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2003, 12:51 PM   #2

i too have the same question. i have narrowed it down between these two cameras.

pros for dimage xt = AV out, unlimited movie mode.

the real issue is the picture quality.

the pictures posted here by STEVE , look good for both cameras.

those with experience with both, or can analyze the pictures posted on this website please help.

TIA
suniljm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2003, 12:29 AM   #3

Default comment please..xt owners

I want to be assured also of the picture quality, most of the samples I see that looks good were taken outside in bright light, how about low light condition and indoor? I saw some samples of Casio Z3 indoors - it doesn't look good but for my taste fairly passable, how about xt?? haven't seen any yet.
Ching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2003, 5:58 PM   #4

yeah, i think the casio ex-z3 is not the best under low light, but then again, neither is the minolta dimage xt or the pentax optio s.

of these three, here is what i have gathered after reading hundreds of reviews and comments.

overall image quality: dimage xt wins by a narrow margain

screen and user friendliness: casio ex-z3 wins

size and weight: pentax optio s wins

custom manual controls: pentax optio s wins

side points: dimage and optio s have VIDEO OUT. the dimage has unlimited movie size (limited by storage card size)

ultimately, there is no clear winner between the three. i honestly believe that any of these units would make their owner(s) happy. you just have to take the plunge based on what is most important to you and move on. if you think you might have regrets, be sure to purchase your camera from a place that has a easy return policy.

the only thing i request from you, is that once you make your purchase, post a small review so that others may benefit from your experience, as people like you and i are doing now.

best of luck in your final purhase.
suniljm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2003, 8:53 PM   #5

Default thanks

lim - thanks for these info, my hubby will be buying the xt in Singapore next weekend I'll post some sample picture when I get it.
Were you able to buy yours?

Ching
Old Jul 9, 2003, 6:11 AM   #6

I shall be buying my compact digital camera on Friday when I pass through London Heathrow Duty Free but am still undecided between the Minolta Dimage Xt and the Casio EX Z3. I think I prefer the Z3 because of its smaller size and larger screen but then the Xt seems to be better in the movie clip mode as it lasts as long as there is available memory and is not time restricted like the Casio. I do want a reasonable movie clip facility as my old video camera has become too big and I do not wish to buy a digital video camera. Any experience with the movie clip anybody? :?:
twoseater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2003, 12:53 AM   #7

Default buy the xt

the size difference is very minimal - plus there is no video out in the Z3.
Old Jul 17, 2003, 12:58 AM   #8

Default got mine!!

I got my xt today, I'm very happy!!! :P Love this cute little camera, it is smaller than my wallet, thinner than my wallet!! Love it!! Got some shots last night (low light indoor) and quality is a bit grainy which I expected but not at all garbage. - I'm happy, happy happy!!
start up time is really fast - colors good! better than my nikon cp885. Macro is so so...but I still got my nikon for those macro shots.

Ching
Old Jul 18, 2003, 2:33 PM   #9

Default Xt

I have a complaint about the camera, and a concern.

The complaint: the LCD will scratch if the hand strap's plastic tab comes in contact with it. Unfortunately, this will happen if the camera is enclosed in a small space, say a pocket. In my case, the camera was in a plastic "baggie" and tucked into a pocket in the back of my bike jersey. Several miles later, I discovered the very gentle movement of the camera in my pocket caused the strap tab to mar the LCD - luckily, it's invisible once the camera is switched on, but it's cosmetically very annoying with a new camera. To its credit, Minolta has offered to make a repair.

The concern: odd circular reflections when using the flash for a group shot. Maybe it's a one-time thing, I'll make some tests.

Dave
davewyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2003, 10:48 PM   #10

Default odd circulat reflection

Dave,

That one I've experienced also - not only in my xt but also with my nikon - and in certain places only - I guess it's the lighting.

Ching