Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jun 17, 2003, 2:48 AM   #1

Default Q re Minolta 7i

I cannot afford the Minolta 7hi, and have a question about the Dimage 7i, which does fall into my price range.

The main reason I want a 5mp camera, is that I take pics of my paintings, and reproduce them as prints, so the more pixels, the better, for good prints. (I have used a Sony DSC 70 up till now, but it was stolen on a trip.)

However, if I am going to buy a new camera, I'd rather like one with a good, long zoom lens, so began to look at the Minoltas.

I am confused, however, about the colour thing. I have read that one has to put the photos through an additional piece of software to convert them to proper RGB colour. Is this a pain?

Should I forget the Minolta, and go for the Nikon 5700 instead?

And What if I want to send the memory card away, to have the pics printed? How will the lab know what to do?
jackiesimmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 17, 2003, 5:38 AM   #2
NHL

Only the original D7 required a colourspace conversion!

The updated D7i and D7Hi do not, in fact they have not one, but 2 standard sRGB colourspaces! One of which is the 'vivid' sRGB which mimic some of the more highly saturated look of some other cameras... 8). The D7Hi offers on top of theses, the option of AdobeRGB as with most dSLR, which is a larger colourspace but standard, since this output can be imported directly into Photoshop. Viewing AdobeRGB without a conversion looks like a lack of Chroma, just like on the original D7... and in case you want even more color controls, both D7i and D7Hi will let you do it to: :lol:

BTW having the larger colourspace has it benefit as well since the original D7 can shoot in the infrared spectrum with an R72 filter, that both the D7i, D7Hi, and even my EOS-10D are blind to. :P
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2003, 6:02 AM   #3

This is really confusing. Look at this quote from Steve's review:

"The DiMAGE 7i (like the DiMAGE 7, 5, S304 and S404) saves image data in its own color space so you need to run them through the supplied DiMAGE Viewer Utility (DIVU) to properly reproduce the desired color space. Minolta uses a color space in the D7i that is close to sRGB but not identical."

I checked this with Minolta tech support in the UK and they agreed with this - tho I have to say it was one of those unsatisfactory conversations where the tech guy just said "yes" and "no".

I need to use my camera to take photos of my paintings ... and then I make giclee prints, on special papers, of my work. I often have to adjust the photo to ensure that the colour on my PC screen is as close as poss to my original painting, and I need to be sure that the colour I see on my PC is going to be the same as the colour in the print . This whole thing about "Colour Space" gives me the willies........I would hate to invest in this camera only to discover that I am going to have colour repro problems.

Wht do you think, having seen this comment?
Old Jun 17, 2003, 6:07 AM   #4

Sorry, the image you supplied did not download before I replied, so I didn't see it. Actually, thanks for that, but I am not looking at the 7hi, only the 7i. I am not prepared to spend the extra 500 on the 7hi - that is a HUGE difference.

I think I would rather go for the Oly C5050 and spend the extra pennies on an additional lens to increase the zoom, or else, if I can find the extra money, buy the Nikon 5700, which is in the middle of the three, pricewise.

Or maybe I will do nothing because I am SO confused now!!
Old Jun 17, 2003, 6:34 AM   #5
NHL

The D7i and D7Hi are identical except for the larger buffer, sync terminal, and the AdobeRGB! Some D7i owners will confirm it for you shortly when they read this post, so just be patient... I'm 100% confident on this... :P
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=4630485

BTW dpReview is in agreement with Steve!
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=3037047
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2003, 3:19 AM   #6

thanks for your time and trouble. I am gonna go look at the camera itself now.