Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Dec 5, 2006, 12:30 PM   #1

Recently all the "whites" in my outdoor pics (and even some indoor pics) are showing up as flourescent pink (like you see in the colored black & white photos). I've had my Dimage A1 for 3 years and this has never happened before. Recently I started playing with taking black & white pics using the Dimage. Did i accidentally change a setting - I've already checked the color, filter and saturation settings. I've even reset the camera to to the original default settings but to no avail! The holidays are quickly approaching and as the "official" family photagrapher, I need help and fast!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have.
Attached Images

minhvavananh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2006, 5:47 PM   #2

This may be the beginning of the sensor death. You should get a new camera for free from Sony.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2006, 9:19 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply, Kassandro. Pardon my ignorance, but is the "sensor" the same thing as a "ccd chip"? I called Sony and they seem to think that replacing the ccd chip would solve the problem.
minhvavananh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 6:42 AM   #4

minhvavananh wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the reply, Kassandro. Pardon my ignorance, but is the "sensor" the same thing as a "ccd chip"? I called Sony and they seem to think that replacing the ccd chip would solve the problem.
Yes, any CCD is a sensor, but not any sensor is a CCD.

In your case, it will be very difficult for Sony to replace the sensor, because they have stopped producing the A1 sensors for quite a while. In Germany they first offered a new A200 in exchange, but now they don't have any of these nice A200 cameras left and they offer a lot of cash in exchange. It will be more than enough to buy a Lumix FZ50 or Fuji 9600 in exchange.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 10:54 AM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
In your case, it will be very difficult for Sony to replace the sensor, because they have stopped producing the A1 sensors for quite a while.
Sony has been fixing them in some areas.

I've seen some relatively recent reports of people getting their A1 fixed in the U.S. (within the past two months).

I've also seen a recent report of Sony fixing one in Brazil (although the service center needed to wait on the sensor to come in from Japan, they still fixed it instead of replacing it).

minhvavananh

It's probably defective.

But, if it's strictly a color accuracy issue, and you don't see any other telltale signs of a component failure (banding, exposure, etc.), make sure your White Balance isn't set incorrectly.

You may have accidently left it on a setting that's assuming a different lighting temperature.

You may also want to reset the camera back to factory defaults to make sure some other setting isn't causing a conflict somewhere (you'll find a reset menu choice in any of the record modes).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 2:16 PM   #6
Administrator

P.S.

I just saw an even more recent report of an A1 with a defective sensor being fixed.

They entered the info about it on the Sony Web site, and they were e-mailed a UPS shipping label to print. They sent the camera off on November 21, 2006, and it took about a week to get to Laredo, TX, due to the slower ground shipping over the holidays.

http://eservice.sony.com/webrma/web/index.do

They received their A1 back today (December 8, 2006), working fine after the CCD was replaced at no charge.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote