Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Dec 23, 2006, 10:52 PM   #1

I have been trying since I bought this camera to figure out the best settings. I have read the Manual several times and tried ALL settings to NO AVAIL. Picture look like crap. I know it's me, but I want to be able to get the BEST QUA;ITY with indoor/outdorr pics, can you please help me with this? I get alot of grainy noise, POOR QUALITY pics, but I know from your sample images on here this is a GOOD camera, I don't have the expensive seperate flash, I just use the built in one on the camera... PLEASE HELP.... XMAS IS IN 2 DAYS.....WANT GOOD FAMILY PICS....:?

we3lsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2006, 10:58 PM   #2

Post some of your shots without the EXIF stripped and someone could probably give ideas of what went wrong on that particular shot.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2006, 11:03 PM   #3

what is EXIF? and HOW do i post photos?
Old Dec 23, 2006, 11:06 PM   #4

what is EXIF?
Old Dec 23, 2006, 11:16 PM   #5

are you able to see my pics, as I don't have any clue on how to post a picture on here?
Old Dec 24, 2006, 10:17 PM   #6

No, I'm not seeing your pictures. But here is some ideas:

1. Your outdoor photos in good lighting should come out well by setting the mode dial to the P mode, and let the camera set the exposure automatically.

2. Indoor shots with the A200 are not easy, as you have mentioned.

Without an add on flash, you are limited to about 10 feet with the camera's pop up flash, after that, you won't get a well exposed shot. You can still use the P mode, as with indoor shots it will most likely set the aperature to it's widest setting.

Auto focus indoors is bad, especially at the long end of the zoom, 100mm and up. You want to keep your indoor shots at 28mm to 75mm. Set the focus mode to spot. The default mode does not do a good job. Make sure you only partially depress the shutter button to get focus confirmation, before you fully depress the shutter button. When using spot focus, you will see a cross hair in the center of the screen. Pick something on your subject that shows a lot of contrast to focus on, like their eyes, partially depress the shutter button to get focus comfirmation, then recompose the scene to your liking while holding he shutter button partially down, before completing the shot. The auto white balance works ok outdoors, but indoors i would use the flash setting if you are using the pop up flash. The auto ISO setting max's out at 200 ISO. That should be the optimum setting for indoors, although manually setting the ISO to 400 should give you better results if your subject is in motion, you will also get more noise/grain at 400 and higher ISO settings. Good luck.
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2006, 10:19 PM   #7

No, I'm not seeing your pictures. But here is some ideas:

1. Your outdoor photos in good lighting should come out well by setting the mode dial to the P mode, and let the camera set the exposure automatically.

2. Indoor shots with the A200 are not easy, as you have mentioned.

Without an add on flash, you are limited to about 10 feet with the camera's pop up flash, after that, you won't get a well exposed shot. You can still use the P mode, as with indoor shots it will most likely set the aperature to it's widest setting.

Auto focus indoors is bad, especially at the long end of the zoom, 100mm and up. You want to keep your indoor shots at 28mm to 75mm. Set the focus mode to spot. The default mode does not do a good job. Make sure you only partially depress the shutter button to get focus confirmation, before you fully depress the shutter button. When using spot focus, you will see a cross hair in the center of the screen. Pick something on your subject that shows a lot of contrast to focus on, like their eyes, partially depress the shutter button to get focus comfirmation, then recompose the scene to your liking while holding he shutter button partially down, before completing the shot. The auto white balance works ok outdoors, but indoors i would use the flash setting if you are using the pop up flash. The auto ISO setting max's out at 200 ISO. That should be the optimum setting for indoors, although manually setting the ISO to 400 should give you better results if your subject is in motion, you will also get more noise/grain at 400 and higher ISO settings. Good luck.
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote