Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Dec 26, 2006, 6:10 AM   #1

After not using my A1 for a couple of months when i next used it i had the following problem.......
Picture view mode is fine but when I switch to 'picture take' mode the LCD screen is black, as is the viewfinder screen. When I press theshutter there is a long delay before I hear the shutter sound. It's as if I'm taking a picture without flash in the pitch black. When I switch back to picture view mode it shows that I've taken a 'black' picture. All the display details are as normal.I have checked all settings and changed the compact flash card and the battery . Is this a ccd problem and if so is it covered by the recall which i no so many people have had.

I really hope someone can help as i would hate to lose my A1 and the Sony H5 that i also have is nowhere as good as my Minolta
LONGLEAF 2613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2006, 8:22 AM   #2

That's too bad. I just saw this link in another thread in this forum and thought it sounds like it could be your issue:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...a_defects.html

I would call the Sony repair center and set up a return under the CCD recall. When I sent mine in for repair, I included a note saying I was sending it in under the CCD recall. I included in the note screenprints of the recall notice's examples.

The contact phone numbers are listed on this link:
http://esupport.sony.com/perl/suppor...pl?template=EN

Good luck!
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2006, 10:52 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply

I have contacted the repair company that is listed on the Sony website and have been informed that it will be a minium of £88 ($160) and 3-5 weeks.
I have no intention of paying for something that should be covered under the recall even though my camera ran out of warrenty along time ago.

If anyone else in the UK has had problems with recall work it would be great to hear how it was resolved

Old Dec 28, 2006, 11:19 AM   #4

Did they take your info over the phone? If not, try opening a new claim on their site and be sure to put a purchase date within a year of today. This is necessary if you are to proceed. I was advised to do this even though the recall is something outside of the standard warranty. They never required me to remit a copy of my purchase invoice; they just fixed it and sent it back to me, free of charge.
Old Dec 28, 2006, 12:17 PM   #5

Here in the UK we have no option to contact Sony/Minolta directly about a recall repair , only an appointed repairer .
I shall point out to them that they need to have a look at various publications on this matter.(am sure that they know the score though).
Old Dec 28, 2006, 12:21 PM   #6

Print out *lots* of evidence and go from there. There's enough of a problem there's a class action lawsuit out there against Canon in the US and more are likely to follow. Best of luck to you! It's a fine camera to miss, I know. We were willing to pay up to $200 US if they'd told us it wasn't fixable under the recall; no other camera in the $600 and under range had the features I love with the A1.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 6:01 PM   #7

Hopefully some good news.After a phone call to Sony customer services the camera has gone away for repair.
The repair company ( JP Service Solutions ) have been in contact and are pretty sure that it is a CCD problem and will be done free of charge .
The only down side is that because of a shortage of spare parts it could take between 8-10 weeks , but atleast i should get my camera back working somewhen.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 8:33 PM   #8

Hey, good luck! I hope they fix it quickly for you and at no charge. Wouldn't that be great? :G
Old Jan 25, 2007, 2:46 PM   #9

My camera arrived back today (much sooner than told it would ) all fixed and working like new. Repaired under the recall free of charge
I never new how much i would miss it until i had to use my Sony h5 the other day. Although it has image stabilisation ( it is a good camera ) it is nowhere as good as my A1 and i really missed the fast shutter speed.
A thank you to all who helped with getting it repaired with lots of good advice on what to d
o.[img]images/emoticons/wave1.gif[/img]document.write('[img]/forums/images/emoticons/wave1.gif[/img]');
Old Jan 25, 2007, 11:41 PM   #10

Oh, yay! I'm so happy for you having a new lease on life with that Minolta! I can relate first-hand to the elation.