Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jun 27, 2003, 12:29 PM   #1

Default Comparison between 7i and 7Hi?

Could someone put in layman's terms the key differences between the 7i (have not seen) and the 7Hi (loved when I saw/handled it)?

Is the 7i shot to shot or aquiring images going to be slower than the 7Hi (due to the buffer difference)?

Is the 7Hi faster? (I know the multiple fps rate is higher, but what about a situation like capturing your baby doing something cute and you snap a shot and want to quickly snap another shot as the action changes.???

I ask, because I am NOT an extremely serious photographer, but loved the 7Hi. If I go with the 7i, what functional differences am I going to notice/see for general indoor/outdoor family shots, vacation photos, landscape, etc.?

Thanks!
Us 5 Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2003, 1:40 PM   #2

Default Re: Comparison between 7i and 7Hi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Us 5 Camp
Could someone put in layman's terms the key differences between the 7i (have not seen) and the 7Hi (loved when I saw/handled it)?
Here are the differences:
1. 7i does not come with a PC sync socket. (PC Sync is used for studio flashes)
2. The larger buffer allows you to take 3 RAW or full size TIFF shots quickly. On the 7i there is a 10 second wait while the RAW or TIFF file writes.
3. The larger buffer allows you to take more shots in continuous mode before the camera slows down.
4. 7Hi has a very low compression 'Extra Fine' JPEG format, but does not have the 'basic' high compressipn JPEG.
5. Shutter speed goes to 15 seconds in non-Bulb mode.
6. 3 Manual White Balance memories instead of 1
7. AdobeRGB color space
8. Undo for the Pro/Auto button
9. Black finish vs. silver finish.
10. The 7Hi Slightly slower writing RAW to flash.

Most of the differences aren't very important to most people. If you want to shoot in RAW mode or continuous drive, the buffer increase might be worth it.
If you will be shooting single JPEG images, I doubt you would be taking them predictably faster than 2-3 seconds apart for periods of a minute or more. (2-3 seconds is the time for the 7i to write 1 JPEG to flash with a good flash card, and there is enough buffer for about 4 JPEG images), so there would be little practical difference between the cameras in that case.
abredon is offline   Reply With Quote