Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jan 10, 2007, 9:16 AM   #1

I hope someone can help. I borrowed my fathers Konica 500z Revio to bring on honeymoon and its stopped working after a couple of days. It got some sand in the slidy door mechanism, and in the process of getting this out it opened and the lens caught on the door. It then reported a system error and shutdown, and now won't power up at all.

I have 2 problems, I'm on a once in a lifetime (I hope !) honeymoon and all I have is a $20 disposable camera, and I have to tell my father I bust his camera.

Is there a sequence of button presses maybe to reawaken it - it appears dead even though the battery is charged ?

thanks - quick response appreciated - we go home in 4 days

FFMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2007, 11:38 AM   #2

Your on your honeymoon and your worried about a camera....ut oh...Not something
I would be worried about but thats just me...
OK...advise...I know nothing about the camera your talking about but if its sand and its in the inner workings of the camera, cut your loses for now and find a camera store and buy a new one...You want the memories right......Disposables wont cut it...Get off the rusty money and save those memories....

John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2007, 1:01 PM   #3
Administrator

FFMan wrote:
Quote:
I hope someone can help. I borrowed my fathers Konica 500z Revio to bring on honeymoon and its stopped working after a couple of days. It got some sand in the slidy door mechanism, and in the process of getting this out it opened and the lens caught on the door. It then reported a system error and shutdown, and now won't power up at all.

See this thread, which contains posts from a couple of people that have managed to fix their cameras. The Konica KD-400z, KD-410z, KD-500z, KD-510z, Minolta G500 use the same basic body and lens design. .

A gear in the lens mechanism can get jammed causing it, usually as a result of impact with the lens extended versus getting caught on the door.

Wiggle it and make sure the lens mechanism is straight for starters (sometimes the end piece gets stuck tilted off line). If not, see this post. Hopefully, you didn't burn any components up trying it too much with a jammed gear if that's the issue (which causes the error you were seeing).

http://www.network54.com/Forum/15193...+-+Dimage+G500

Quote:
I have 2 problems, I'm on a once in a lifetime (I hope !) honeymoon and all I have is a $20 disposable camera, and I have to tell my father I bust his camera.
Buy a few more (disposable cameras). :-) Or, hit the closest local pawn or camera shop and buy another camera ( film or digital) to use until you get back.

Quote:
Is there a sequence of button presses maybe to reawaken it - it appears dead even though the battery is charged ?
Perhaps, if no components are damaged. But, it may not work if you can't see the screens. You could try the keystrokes anyway.

Make sure the lens mechanism is fixed first (which may fix it by itself).

There may be a sequence of buttons you can press and hold to power it up to built in service menus, and there is a way to fully reset the entire camera to factory defaults.
You have to be very careful using these menus, as you can really mess up things (Autofocus calibration, hot pixel tables, the built in shutter actuations counters, first used dates and more).

But, if it's dead, something else is probably wrong.

If it won't power up at all, make sure the battery contacts are clean (camera and battery). Make sure you don't have a problem with oxidation on button contacts (or one stuck making a partial connection) by using all buttons. Yank your memory card to make sure it's not shorting it out, too.

See this info on how to get to the hidden service menus on a KD-510z. WARNING - Do not choose any Autofocus Calibration menu choices as these will immediately enter a calibration routine that's expecting a test target at a specific focus distance. You do not want to go there. Been there, done that. :-)

Powerup Camera by opening the cover,

Press and hold menu button (standard menu should appear in the display if your camera is working)

Press and hold shutter button

(at this point, both the menu button and shutter button are still held down)

Then, continue to hold the menu button and shutter button down while going through this sequence:

2x TELE (press right zoom button twice)
1x WIDE (press left zoom button once)
(a blue information screen appears here)
TRASH (press trashcan icon button once)
PLAY (press upper left button on back of camera)
2x TELE (press right zoom button twice)
1x WIDE (press left zoom button once)

The service menu will appear.

You can release shutter and menu buttons now.

There are two different types of resets you'll find in the menus. One of them is a pretty good wipe out of everything. I wouldn't use it if you don't have to. You'll find some test menus (button tests, etc.), too.

Just don't go into any Autofocus Calibration menus as there will not be a further prompt before it messes up your AF if the test target it expects is not there in light good enough for it to lock focus on it at the distances it expects it!

If the button combinations I outlined for a KD-510z won't work on a KD-500z, see if you can update your firmware (which could fix any settings related issues) to a newer version that may have the same keystroke combo for the hidden service menus (and you may not need to reset it). You'd have to test it to find out. It works on a KD-510z using 3.38a. But, I haven't tried it on a KD-500z running 3.38a (and the firmware is not the same for the two cameras, even though they're both 3.38a).

See my post in this thread for a link to get the latest 3.38a firmware for the Konica KD-500z. Just unzip and copy the kd-500z.bin firmware file to the root directory (not one of the subfolders) on a Secure Digital card using a card reader. Then, insert the card with the KD-500z.bin file on it in the camera and open the cover. It should see the firmware and ask you if you want to install it. Do not use a Memory Stick. You must use Secure Digital for the upgrade to work.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=20

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2007, 2:31 PM   #4
Administrator

P.S.

Welcome to the forums and congratulations (on the marriage).

Short Answer: I'd suggest that you buy another camera and don't worry about trying to fix it while on your honeymoon. ;-)

At a mininum, a gear is probably jammed in the lens mechanism and is going to require taking some of the camera apart to fix it (see the link I posted to a thread on how to do that in my last post).

If you end up needing to replace it with a similar model, here's a Minolta G600 on Ebay (basically, the Konica KD-500z camera body and lens design with some small cosmetic differences, newer firmware that supports manual exposure and custom profiles and a 6MP vs. 5MP 1/1.8" sensor).

According to the shipping calcualtor in the Ebay listing, you could have one delivered by Friday for about $50 or so shipping in the U.S. (less if you can wait on it). The G600 is an updated Konica KD-510z (which is an updated KD-500z), only the newer G600 has a 6MP 1/1.8" sensor instead of a 5MP 1/1.8" Sensor.

The body and lens design is alike between them, with cosmetic and feature differences setting them apart (the newer G500/KD-510z and G600 get manual exposure, user profiles with more adjustable parameters compared to the KD-500z.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=290070031823

I also see some listings for the Minolta G500 (same as the Konica KD-510z) on Ebay for about the same price. I use a Konica KD-510z (a.k.a., Minolta G500). Here's a G500 for $114.39:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=270077469315

Old Jan 11, 2007, 10:45 AM   #5

thanks for the replies guys - you certainly seem to know your onions.

The lens on my camera is fully retracted so no wiggling possible. I've checked the charge on the battery and cleaned the contacts buts its still completely dead so no go on the service menus either.

the 2 grains of sand got in the rail mechanism of the door and prevented it opening fully. I got the sand out but i think the lens jammed momentarily on the door when it finally powered up. It didn't die straight away, if showed the system error message, retracted the lens and then powered down. It just seems to be in a sulk, or perhaps a component has blown.

I'm going to try plugging it into a USB port later to see if that will waken it up but I doubt it. I've checked the insurance policy and its covered so I guess I do that admin when I get home. I borrowd this from dad cos we had one bought for us for the wedding but it hadn't arrived by the time we left here - so I have a new camera when back home.

We've cajoled a few people we have met here into taking snaps and they will email them on - we'll scrape by, stuff on this tiny island is pretty expensive and as I have a camera from the wedding I'm loathed to buy another.

thanks very much

cheers
FFMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2007, 11:59 AM   #6
Administrator

Good Luck with it.

Your dad has good tastes in a camera. Of course, I'm biased since I've been using a Konica KD-510z since mid July 2003 (about 2 weeks after it was released by Konica in Japan). I didn't even wait on it to hit the U.S. shores -- I got a model intended for sale in Japan.. :-) Your dad's Konica KD-500z is almost the same camera (other than it's missing manual exposure and custom profiles allowing you to change ISO speed and some of the other parameters the camera uses).

These little cameras take great photos (other than the redeye if you use the flash). lol I have yet to see a subcompact camera that I'd consider replacing my Konica with (although I do have a Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D, too).

Don't tell anyone I said so, but the Konica KD-510z takes better photos in good light compared to the larger DSLR. :-) Of course, in low light, the DSLR wins every time.