Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jul 11, 2003, 9:16 AM   #1

Default Why is Dimage 7i Harder to Find?

I'm shopping and notice that many places have the 7Hi but not the 7i. Is the 7i being phased out or maybe they're getting ready to come out with a new model?? If I get a 7i am I going to find next week that everybody has them on closeout? Or will the 7Hi price come down to where I would be better off getting one of those?

Anybody have leads on where to get these for a good price? Would also like a 5-yr extended warranty (yeah, I know, they're usually not worth it. But after having to trash my present digicam that I paid $550 for a couple years ago because it costs too much to fix, I'm gun-shy).

--
Heather
hkrause is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2003, 12:24 PM   #2

Follow-up: Local dealer indicates that they're not getting any new Minolta cameras in because Minolta is in "a state of flux" after being bought by Konica? I see press releases on the Minolta site discussing a stock swap and consolidation of management, etc.

I assume this has a bearing on my original question. Any thoughts on its relevance when considering purchase of a Minolta 7i / 7Hi?

--
Heather
Old Jul 13, 2003, 3:29 PM   #3

the 7i is being removed from the inventory just as the 7 was when the 7i came out. it isn't cost effective to keep relative identical cameras on the market when the newer (7Hi) has improvements. the only reason there is a large price discrepancy is due to they want to deplete the remaining 7i unit from inventory. as the inventory depletes then the 7 Hi will probable drop into a more palatable price range.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2003, 7:42 PM   #4

Well, I probably just expedited the situation by buying a 7Hi. Therefore, prices will drop drastically within 2-3 weeks, history tells me.

--
Heather
Old Jul 14, 2003, 9:04 AM   #5

i know that feeling
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote