Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Feb 21, 2007, 8:40 AM   #1

Hi

I recently bought a 2GB SD card for my Z3 and when I tried to install it found that it would not use the card. Google told me to upgrade firmware so I got 1.03 and followed the install instructions and it will now read the card, however while the display works fine the picture coming from the lens is black. When I click the shutter and the autofocus kicks in I get a few random dots appear on the screen for a second then it goes black again. Pictures taken are all black, previous pictures display fine on the camera.

Now I'm unsure it was working before I did the upgrade (I hadn't used it for a couple of days) so it's fairly likely that it has nothing to do with the firmware at all - it suffered a drop a day or two before and I'm assuming this is the most likely cause - but I wanted to check to see if anyone knows of a firmware update doing something like this?

It's 2.5 years old so I assume it's not covered by any warranty... as such is there a repair manual I can download? Otherwise it's off to the insurers

Cheers
Marzbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2007, 7:55 PM   #2
Administrator

Chances are, the drop messed something up (cracked circuit board, loose connection to CCD, etc.).

If everything else is working fine, it's probably not getting a signal from the CCD.

Try resetting everything back to defaults, just for the heck of it.

You'll find a "RESET DEFAULT" menu choice on the third page of your setup menus for this purpose.

Also try all buttons, switches, etc., to make sure one didn't get stuck in the wrong spot or making a partial connection. I'd also try different batteries and memory card in it. But, it's more likely that something broke when you dropped it versus an issue with the firmware upgrade if everything else except for a signal from the CCD is working.

You may want to give sending back to Sony a try first. It's possible that the CCD failed in it, and if so, they may fix it for free (there was a big announcement about problems with the Sony CCDs used in many models a while back and when they fail, they usually fix them for free). You would need to go through Sony to get it fixed anyway, since they took over KM's camera service (although a third party will actually perform the service):

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/news-i...mp;region_id=1

Edit... I just looked at the specs, and I believe that your Z3 model is using a Panasonic CCD (and if I'm right about that, it wouldn't be covered out of warranty if the CCD failed).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2007, 6:31 AM   #3

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Try resetting everything back to defaults, just for the heck of it.

You'll find a "RESET DEFAULT" menu choice on the third page of your setup menus for this purpose.
Yeah, I'd tried that when I first installed the firmware (the readme says you might need to). Thanks for your post though, it's nice to get a second opinion!

The insurance is picking up the tab, it looks like they'll be getting it repaired (can't believe that's economically viable but that's their call - I guess they do it to stop people "dropping" cameras to get new ones on new-for-old policies).

Cheers

Geoff
Marzbar is offline   Reply With Quote