Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jul 17, 2002, 2:40 PM   #1

Default Focusing on the Dimage 5

HELP!

Not sure if its me (I am new to camera's). But my new Dimage 5 has great difficulty focusing, especially in telephoto, but happens a great deal in normal photographs. I find that if I switch it off and back on it seems to focus ok, but when I change to something either closer or further away, it cant do it. Sometimes it bleeps and I get the white circle saying it has locked focus, but its plain to see on the display that it hasnt, any ideas ?
markw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 18, 2002, 1:15 AM   #2

Markw
I don't have the D5, but had the D7 (before my D7i) . The D7 sometimes failed to focus , mostly at full tele, when there is not enough contrast , the scene is too bright , or too uniform ( white sand, white plain wall etc ...) . What can help is trying to focus at the edge of a detail at same distance ( the edge of the wall, a rock on the sand ...) then just reframe. ( D5 don't have Flex focus if I remember right) .
Hope that helps
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2002, 3:43 AM   #3

Thanks, it tends to have trouble focusing 9 times out of 10 in zoom mode and 5 times out of 10 in non zoom. I tried what you suggested and a couple of people have had a look at it, I am tending to think it might be faulty ?
Any other suggestions, settings etc ?
Old Jul 18, 2002, 6:47 AM   #4
NHL

KCan is right. The AF system is contrast based, so if what you're focusing on is plain the camera will be confused... Try to point the AF area on high contrast subject first then reframe after it locks.

Also at high zoom setting (I believe it's pretty awsome in the D5) camera shake is also a higher factor than in the D7!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2002, 6:55 AM   #5

Just been to a camera shop and tried one in there and it worked everytime and compared mine also at the same time and it failed 4 times out of 5. So looks like I am sending it back
Old Aug 15, 2002, 8:53 AM   #6

I have a similar problem, exactly as you describe. Switch the camera on and for the first couple of frames, it focuses fine. After that, no focus. I don't think it's contrast because I set it up on a tripod with the exact same subject each time. After switching off then on again it works for another couple of frames.

When I contacted Minolta, they just said it was probably a fault with the camera and that I should send it back for repair.

I had a Dimage 5 before (lost in a climbing accident) and it worked fine with good focus 95% of the time.

Could you let me know how you got on. It is going to be a hassle to send camera back to Minolta.
Code51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2002, 9:28 AM   #7

I got my camera changed and it works fine now (still the odd focusing issue), but 95% its fine. I took it back to the company I bought it from and they swapped it without any hassle. Hope you sort yours out quickly.