Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jul 17, 2002, 11:08 PM   #1

Default What I see on the monitor is not what is printed

Can anybody tell me how to get my monitor and my printer to agree on what I want printed ?.... For example, the pic I want printed is all set, color,contrast and brightness. perfect. but the finished product is way too dark,no matter what print software I use
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2002, 11:20 PM   #2

Not an expert in printer calibration. But,are you printing with gloss paper? ordinary paper will "suck" the ink ...
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2002, 11:24 PM   #3

Ha ha !! what an intelligent software we have here , it automatically censor one of my word
Hope that I don't get any ticket ( as in one of those movie with Sylvester Stalone )
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2002, 6:25 AM   #4
NHL

Welcome to the digital world !!!

... It's all related to the dreaded colospace that people used to complain about in the D7 when it's colors are mapped in a wider space than sRGB (ie look flat) but print out great ?

The answer is the printer has a different color space. Apple display also are mapped to a different color space than the PC only sRGB (BTW, HP and Microsoft set this standard). I warned people in the old forum not to convert to sRGB since they are only truncating the data when converting the pictures so they look nice on a PC screen only environment (OK for web posting), and to save the originals...

Do test prints... Most printers allow color adjustemnt (Epson even allow to save the color settings into different files), but ICC profiling is the next step:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forum/vi...ad.php?tid=761

-> Also the cameras implement PIM so people that own Epson printer can try it out first. This works by remapping the D7(i) colorspace with the color differences in the printer, but usually when a picture is edited, the PIM info in the EXIF header is usually destroy (at least in Photoshop 6.x and below). So people back-up your originals... this is a fast moving field who know what the outcome is...

[Edited on 7-18-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2002, 5:27 PM   #5
NHL

My other 2c...

Don't over adjust your monitor! It's hard enough to match the printer to the monitor, but you don't want your pictures to look too different from another PC terminal... (ie on the other side of the internet)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote