Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jul 23, 2003, 7:09 PM   #1

Default Battery Options for D7Hi

Next month I'm off to Bermuda on vacation with my D7Hi. I'll be taking with me 4 sets of NIMH batteries --- 3 sets of 2000 MAH and 1 set of 1850 MAH batteries. Based on the performance of these batteries, I have a feeling I'll be spending more time in my hotel room charging and recharging these batteries rather than taking in the sites or lounging on the beach. Are there any other options for me? I'd appreciate hearing all about it.
SteveZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 23, 2003, 7:33 PM   #2

well if you spend more time out there admiring the images on the little screen you probably will. the biggest killer of batts is that monitor. i get out of a broken in set of 2000mah maha batts generally between 80-120 images depending on built in strobe use. i use a 5600d external strobe with it usually. now if you turn off the mini monitor and all the cute sounds you'll get more images. of course carry a spare set of batts for the day. always have a set on charge.

now of you really want power there is the DCB. a 30 watt powerpack at $259 and approx $30 for the adapter cable that will power the camera for about 700+ with the monitor on all the time. i have one and use it between my 7Hi and its external strobe, my 1Ds and its strobe, and my F5 and its strobe. it recharges in about 5-6 hours. it will run just about any camera you need to run plus devices like digital wallets. it only costs money.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2003, 8:03 PM   #3

Thanks sjms

The thing is I rarely use the LCD monitor nor the 5600 flash and still I don't get anywhere near the number of shots you do with a "broken in" set of 2000 MAH batteries. (I do love those little sounds though, arent they cute?)
What about this DCB powerpack? Can you recommend a make? I'll probably look into buying that before I go away. Thanks
SteveZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2003, 10:32 PM   #4

www.digitalcamerabattery.com
Old Jul 23, 2003, 10:33 PM   #5
NHL

Quote:
The thing is I rarely use the LCD monitor nor the 5600 flash and still I don't get anywhere near the number of shots you do with a "broken in" set of 2000 MAH batteries. (I do love those little sounds though, arent they cute?)
Have you looked into a different charger? I used my D7 all day on only two set of batteries (and with a microdrive too!):
http://webpages.charter.net/bbiggers...e_life___.html
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2003, 7:50 PM   #6

NHL has a very ggod point about the charger. Depending upon your charger make and model, it may not be charging your batteries to their full capacity.

You can do a very rough calculation. Check the milliamp charge rate of the charger (say it's 300 mA) and your batteries are 2100 mAH.

Then 2100/300 = 7

So it would take this charge AT LEAST 7 hours to charge the batteries. I say AT LEAST, because charging is never 100% efficient, so add on about 20% (1.4 hours additional) for a total time to full charge of 8.4 hours.

Many NiMH chargers are timed, so yours might be turning off before the charge is complete.

It is possible you might need to give your batteries a double pass through the charger to achieve a decent charge.

Hope that helps a little.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2003, 9:44 PM   #7
hst

Default 1800MA

I use 1800MA with my 7i and get a lot of shots. I also use the display a lot. It may well be your charger or particular set of batteries. I've noticed brands seem to make a lot of difference. Also make sure you powersave is on. I know if you walk around with the camera on for a long time without taking pictures, you can also eat up batteries. One minute seems to work well.
hst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2003, 11:24 PM   #8

if your using the original charger that came with the camera it falls real short in every department except doorstop. its useless. get a real charger. and you can read all about them in the forums.
Old Jul 25, 2003, 4:58 PM   #9

Just to add my 2c worth

First thing I bought for my 7Hi was a Rayovac 1Hr charger from Walmart and I've never looked back

Using it on holiday in Universal Studios/Seaworld etc. I found I got around 6 to 7 hours use out of a set of Panasonic 2000mAH NimH's, taking about 70 to 90 pictures during the day, I'm also using a Microdrive.

I topped up a spare set in the car on the way to the parks and only used them 2 or 3 times.
phaedra1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2003, 5:47 PM   #10
NHL

Quote:
First thing I bought for my 7Hi was a Rayovac 1Hr charger from Walmart and I've never looked back...
It's the same one I use, and my favorite one as well!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote