Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jun 19, 2007, 4:10 PM   #1

I am a happy owner of a dimage Z3 for two years. It is sad to hear news that Z3 are failing, and the reasons are varied.

Today I bought another Z3 for 79 Swiss Francs (About $60). The unit is practically brand new butsome buttons are not functioning (menu, QV, i, play). In short the camera is good only for taking pictures using the default settings. You cannot even set the date because the menu button does not work or view the files in the card because the mode setting is also not working. I took a chance and bought the unit, thinking that it is only 'dirty switch contacts'

Repair Procedure:

1. First tried to update to the latest firmware 1.03...but the buttons are still not operational.

2. Dismantled the camera and look at the switches.. I found out the switch contact cannotbe tested nor cleaned.With magnifying glass look at the pcb traceshoping that there is a 'Common' connection that is broken...nothing.

3. Finally I decided to remove the top PCB where all the switches are installed. It is connected to the main PCB via a connector, and JACKPOT !. This is the achilles heel of the Z3. The main board has no support in the part where the connector is located. In short, if there is a sudden shock..this connector will dislodge. Although not completely, the end result can be varied because all the switches are connected here. It can be that the power button will not activate or the Zoom, or the menu button. The solution ... using a small object like jewelers screwdriver, the connector can be fixed in place without dismantling both printed circuit board

I will Post the pictures later, I will have to scale them first.

juandelacruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2007, 1:45 AM   #2

Here are t he pictures. I hope this will help the Z3 owners who had given up on the repair of their damaged unit because of the poor support or expensive repair by Sony repair centers.
Attached Images

Old Jun 22, 2007, 5:33 PM   #3

Juandelacruz, Thank for your imformation. I have had problems with my Z3 also. How did you put the connector back in place? Anyother imformation will really help. Thank you.

Dan

dekelsey61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2007, 4:28 AM   #4

You just have to secure the main circuit board with a small screw driver or even a ballpen and just push the piggyback board on the spot where the connector is located. If you want to prevent he connecter from dislodging again, you can probebly secure it with an adhesive.

Disassembly is quite tricky. There are screws under the rubbers grips. You have to remove the rubber on both sides. You may lose the adhesives but you can always put a new double adhesive tape. Also, the screws on the tripod mount need not be removed.

If you have difficulty dismantling the case, just post the problem here and I will be glad to help.

Old Oct 5, 2007, 3:50 PM   #5

My Z3 suddenly stopped working. It just won't turn on. I wonder if I have the same condition as you described. Would you be so kind as to tell me the process for getting the back off the camera so I can check the circuit board connection? I see that you have to take out the screws around the viewfinder. What other screws must be removed, and are there any plastic clips or anything like that to worry about? Thanks, Duffy
duffya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 2:23 PM   #6

Hi,

Its been a while since I llogged in. We recently moved from Switzerland to Colorado.

There are screws under the rubber of the handgrip. Remove the two rubbers (gray) the screws will be revealed. You can put back the rubber using thin double adhesive tape. Don' t rush on openning the camera, take your time and try to remember the steps that you have done so that you will not have problems putting it back. One more advice, its winter and the air is so dry, static electric electricity builds up easily. Discharge your finger everytime you touch the electronics, static electricity can reach up to thousands of volts and this can zap the sensitive CMOS circuits inside the camera. If you do not have an anti static wrist strap, just touch a metal befoe you touch the circuit.

Good luck.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 9:14 PM   #7

:|juandelacruz, I had once a problem with my Z20. Probably, the mirror switching the LCD and the view finder stockedup and nothing can be seen in the LCD monitor. But after turning the camera on/off several times, pressing all the buttons and control hoping to fix the problem, the LCD monitor finally turned on. How do you explain this thing? By the way, what is ur nationality? I'm from the Phil. and I suppose we are from the same country.
rpviado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 11:04 AM   #8

Hallo

I also have a big problem with my Z3 (see attached photo)
It hapened during my last vacation in Indonesia an realy spoiled a lot.
The lens makes a strange clicking noise when it is retreved out of the body and i assume that it ran out of its gliders.Probably no longer in the centerline of the camera.
Repair in a shp is verry expensive!
Can somebody advise me how to open the camera,I like to try it myselves.

thanks in advance
Henk
Attached Images

henkzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 12:18 PM   #9

In response to that last photo. Your anti-shake mechanism is broken.

The camera was dropped.

I have the same issue with my Z5, and just bought another one on Ebay for $46 (including the shipping) to use for parts.

I hope I will get the part I need.

There are a lot of screws to take this camera apart, and you need to disconnect a whole bunch of ribbon connectors very carefully without breaking them.
zvberkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 12:31 PM   #10

Hi,

You can try to go to this thread:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=20

A lot of people posted their own solution to this problem.