Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Aug 8, 2003, 9:27 AM   #11
NHL

MarkoB

That's my whole point... The only ones I can think of, are the ancient Nikon external coupling mounts with no electrical coupling!

Are we going to see this 'Image Stabilized' CCD on any dSLR soon (remember the Contax that did its AF from moving the film plane?)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2003, 10:57 PM   #12

Wonder how the A1 will fair in competition with the new Canon EOS-300D which has an MSRP with one lens at below US$1,000?
Richard Howes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2003, 6:33 AM   #13
NHL

It'll be a hard sell since compactness and lightness is not so much a factor anymore with the new 300D/Rebel. It's price probably will have to be adjusted to the $800 range to have any appeal... The arrival of the 300D/Rebel just revolutionalized the whole market and will affect every manufacturers and not limited to the A1 or the F828. The 5700 will be even a harder sell for example. This is not limited to compact EVF cameras either, but will also influence buying decision on the SD9, *ist, E1, D100 and even Canon's own 10D dSLR (but that's OK)!

There's no doubt that this 300D/Rebel will sell like hot cakes, just like the 10D previously (in fact this will help to release the production pressure from the 10D and makes it more available)... and so will the reward for Canon with the corresponding lens sales as well! Just good market research and products execution IMO.

... Not to say that 8Mp with the F828 is not any good, or the 1/25s @ 200mm with the A1's IS is not worth having either (The pictures here are taken @ 1/15s). :lol:
Old Aug 23, 2003, 5:07 AM   #14

I'm saving for the A1. 5mpix prints out at A4 perfectly ok with plenty of detail from my old D7 with upgrade. What I need is the faster focussing, the anti shake and the predictive tracking focus, not more pixels. So I'll wait until the price drops a bit, then grab one. Personally, I would never go back to film, or even one of these newer lower priced DSLR's. Tried them, found them heavy, bulky and way too expensive to buy, that is, when you factor in the lens prices. The A1 is light, neat, has a fantastic lens (as all we D7 owners already know) and isn't going to breal the bank. Plus it is made by a camera company, not a catch all electronics firm like Sony.
David Crosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2003, 3:16 AM   #15

I'd hardly call Canon a catch all electronics firm. Their 300D is going to be significant competition for the A1.
Richard Howes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2003, 7:10 AM   #16
NHL

I don't know...

All-in-One cameras have their appeal too, especially for someone who never go out of the 28-200mm range. It save them the trouble of carrying extra lens(es) or the inconvenience of changing them with the consequence of dust contamination (especially for the mom & dad type).

I don't know about other people, but I really like the WYSIWYG feature in the manual mode where this camera simulated the real exposure when couple with the shutter/aperture adjustments. IMO the accompanying real-time histogram in the EVF is a plus as well. Major complains were AF speed, and batteries consumption, but if they managed to fix theses issues in the A1 and add IS that's some major improvement (one has to add IS lens(es) to the price of the 300D to make them comparable in pricing)!

Look @ this: IS 1/10s @ 200mm !!!
Old Aug 26, 2003, 1:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL
It looks like an overclocked D7Hi on steroid... addressing major complain such as the battery, and also intend to keep their lead on EVF based SLRs with their "World Fastest AF" chant (and 1/16000 shutter speed)!

The IS remains to be proven though, moving CCD or just plain old electronic IS like most videocam?
But I want one. :shock:

By the way, the review says this is a 5 megapixel camera. I thought I was just reading a review in another magasize that said that this was an 11 mp camera...?
monsieurms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2003, 1:31 PM   #18
NHL

Monsieurms

Long time no see... Are you ready for a new digicam?
I'm afraid I pulled my trigger this past summer already... and so much good new cameras are (or will be) coming out! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old Aug 26, 2003, 2:36 PM   #19

Hi there NHL....I tend to do mostly travel photography, so my shooting and hence posting tends to revolve around my vacations.

Actually, I am so pleased with my upgraded 7 that I feel no urgency to upgrade---I'm going to let the market shake out a bit more. That doesn't mean I don't want another. It just means I'm not independently wealthy. :lol:

The 7 does pretty much what I need done. What will make me upgrade eventually is....

--When there is a dramatic increase in pixels. Now that we're seeing 11 mp cameras, well, when they come down in price I might bite.

---More importantly, a solution to the lens limitation, even if that means true changeable lenses.

28-200 is a great focal length and generally what I used on my 8000i. But particularly with an ultra wide, I would like a better wide than I've been able to find with the add-on lenses, which vignette all the time. Still, for 90% of my needs, the 7 works fine. I'm in no rush to throw it out.

This is particularly the case given my philosophy on upgrades in a market in flux----you wait until you have hit a major roadblock, and then upgrade. BUt if you keep buying a new (camera, computer, etc) everytime some incremental innovation occurs, you'll be buying at top dollar things that will be routine soon enough. It's always a balancing act as to the right mix between an early adopter and overpaying, or waiting too long and not having any fun. I knew I'd want another digital in a couple of years---the market is changing too quickly to make this one my last one. But so far this meets my needs so well that I can't say I've seen THE one upgrade yet at the right price (under $1k, preferably under $800) that would really make me feel like spending more dough would get me a lot more for the money.
monsieurms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2003, 8:37 AM   #20

I'm waiting for the first A-1 coming to the shop, because I want to change my Dimage 5 for the A-1. After using the D5 for 2 years its time to change to an other model.
sinjin is offline   Reply With Quote