Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Sep 16, 2003, 8:32 PM   #21

Richard,

I think the A1 will do quite well. My amateur opinion is that it does not compete directly with the 300D. The 300D is not a $1000 camera, rather, about $1400. The basic lens will not be "enough" for most users, those who want 200mm capability. This has been noted in some detail on other forums.

If you have a bag of Canon lenses, love gadgets and diddling, the 300D will be great. That's one market segment appealing to one style of photographer. If you want a really, really good point-and-shoot with the feel of an old SLR, want an extended range lens that does it all, want the megapixels of the big boys, and want it all in a single package, the A1 is far more appropriate. For many, all-in-one is a better fit. Perhaps not for you, but for others, yes.

Will the 300D force all prices downward ? Probably. But comparing the 300D (and the teaser pricing game being pushed on the marketplace) to the A1 is like comparing a Ford truck to a Chevy sedan. Two companies, two separate market segments focusing on two different needs. Apples, oranges. Doesn't make one better than another, but I am not going to haul sheetrock in my sedan and I don't want to drive cross country in my truck.

Bottom line is that the two cameras will appeal to different customer bases. Myself, assuming the A1 comes off as advertised, I will gladly pick the A1. I get a zoom that will handle almost any situation, all the features I want (manual zoom ring, among others), plenty of pixels and it all comes in one neat package. Like many others, I don't have a drawer full of existing Canon lenses, therefore, there is no compelling reason for me to buy a 300D.

As usual, I'm a stick in the mud.

Enjoy !!!
Altos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2003, 9:31 PM   #22
NHL

... Plus don't forget just like the "big boys" the A1 can shoot in RAW continuously (until the buffer is filled of course), and it too can also map its output to the wider AdobeRGB colorspace!

The external remote flashes are also wireless TTL (plus modeling light!) just like the other C brand. :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2003, 3:50 PM   #23

BTW, I was just looking at an ad for the Sony DSC F848. 8 mp, a 28-280 lens, dual memory card slots and 640x480 video. That looks like a healthy competitor. I'm particularly attracted to the LONG zoom lens.
monsieurms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2003, 3:57 PM   #24
NHL

IMO it's an error the zoom is in the same range as the A1 (28-200mm), slightly faster F-stop though but not image stabilized like the A1:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/f828.html
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2003, 9:04 AM   #25

Oh! This came from PC Magazine, btw.

Well, I'm not really ready to buy another yet anyway.
Old Oct 8, 2003, 8:43 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo
I would have liked to see them use the 10X zoom from the Z1 with the 5 megapixel CCD (has anyone beaten Nikon's 5700 for 5 Mpixel zoom?) or just gone and made a real D-SLR, but oh well.

The problem of the new Z1 zoom is that it starts at 38mm instead of 28mm, big handicap, at least for me.
Cheers
jdevora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 8:49 AM   #27

38 would be a deal breaker for me, too. The way I shoot, going wide is more important than the telephoto..
Old Oct 8, 2003, 6:42 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsieurms
38 would be a deal breaker for me, too. The way I shoot, going wide is more important than the telephoto..
Well the Z1 does have the advantage of being lighter and much more zoom. I delayed getting a pocket camera to supplement my D7i because I didnít want to do without the 28mm, which I use more than the tele. I had switched from a 38-80mm pocket zoom 35mm to a 28-70 and the difference was dramatic. I didnít want less for the digital.

I finally decided there wasnít going to be a pocket digital with 28mm so I bought a little Oly C50 when they came out last year. I discovered I could take a two shot pano with the camera held vertically and it came out a little better than 28mm and I had 8Mp to boot. Cameras with a pano assist and dedicated stitching software make it very easy, so I do it all the time with he Oly.

I just went out back and snapped a couple in the fading light with the C50. The proportions are perfect for a 13 X 19 and it is about 8Mp. It is almost as easy as just taking a single shot. So now I am thinking my next camera will have a better zoom. Iím hoping for good reviews of the 12X stabilized Panasonic FZ10.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2003, 4:00 PM   #29

I see a number of posts comparing the A1 to the 300D. Just thought that I would share that I bought a 300D, but wound up sending it back. All of my indoor pics with flash were significantly underexposed, and there is no flash exposure compensation. I now have an A1 on order.
I may have given up on the 300D too soon, with with a limited window to return the camera for refund, I just didn't feel comfortable keeping a $1000 camera that I couldn't take good flash pictures with. I also tried using the 400EX flash that was supposed to be compatible with it, but those pictures were even worse.
The outdoor pictures had outstanding color saturation, but were "soft" for my taste. I know that you can sharpen the images in Photoshop, but it just seemed like I was fighting the camera instead of enjoying it.
Hopefully, the A1 will be better suited to what I want - excellent image quality and relatively easy to use.
clickblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2003, 6:36 PM   #30

the flash system from canon is just a little different then most. i had a little struggle getting used to it for the 1Ds. it is finally sort of making sense to me. coming from nikon its like reading another language sometimes. i'm probably going to get a A1 to replace my 7Hi which i sold recently. i miss it.

the flash exposure comp is in the flash at least on the 550x
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote