Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Aug 7, 2003, 12:04 AM   #1
Administrator

Default Minolta A1 - All the info is here!

Here's all the info about the new Minolta A1:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/diginews.html#a1
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2003, 9:22 AM   #2
NHL

It looks like an overclocked D7Hi on steroid... addressing major complain such as the battery, and also intend to keep their lead on EVF based SLRs with their "World Fastest AF" chant (and 1/16000 shutter speed)!

The IS remains to be proven though, moving CCD or just plain old electronic IS like most videocam?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2003, 1:42 PM   #3

I see that Steve's write-up says, of the A1 -

"The 7.2mm - 50.8mm (28mm - 200mm in 35mm format), f/2.8-f/3.5 APO lens is now stabilized with an Anti Shake system."

Is this a true image stabilization system, or is it just a program that selects the highest possible shutter speed, similar to the one mentioned in the write-up of the Z1?
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2003, 1:46 PM   #4

It looks a lot like the 7xx series, but that's because of the same Minolta GT lens. I would have liked to see them use the 10X zoom from the Z1 with the 5 megapixel CCD (has anyone beaten Nikon's 5700 for 5 Mpixel zoom?) or just gone and made a real D-SLR, but oh well.

The new additions seem pretty cool, although I don't use AF at all on my 7i, and generally keep the LCD off as well. Image stablization would only be useful for dark shots with still objects, wouldn't it? Taking a 1/2 second exposure of a person indoors would still be asking for a blurry image.
Rolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2003, 2:16 PM   #5
NHL

I don't believe the Gt lens has changed, and it sounds like the IS is done through the CCD some how, ie it's not optical.

On the 2nd point it's much easier to make a 10x without the wide angle which is why the Z1 needs the WA adapter. IMO preserving the 28mm on the A1 is much more valuable than outdoing other cameras in term of zoom power... 28mm is an advantage I would think and not a handicap like a 35mm would on the 5700. After all not too many cameras sport a 28mm and none has the outstanding EVF of the minolta!
Old Aug 7, 2003, 2:29 PM   #6

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/Min...es/asmovie.mov

DPReview has a video of the CCD based Image stablization in action... servo actuators compensating for accidental hand movement by producing counter-movement. VERY sci-fi.

True, and I *do* like the wide-angle on the D7xx series, just I need that up-close view for capturing birds and the like. And since the A1 uses the same GT lens as the 7xx, then it'll likely have the same teleconverter-hate that made the 7xx series compatible with only a handful of add-on zooms.
Rolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2003, 2:56 PM   #7
NHL

Cool... If someone manages to put this IS technology in a dSLR that would work with any lens, they would get an immediate hit! :lol:
Old Aug 7, 2003, 5:09 PM   #8

Default IS by CCD

If IS is done by moving the CCD, the nescessary correcting action depends on the focal length of the lens, it must be proportional to the focal length.

This would be a difficulty for a DSLR with exchangeable lenses.
HerbertRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2003, 5:36 PM   #9
NHL

The focal lenght as well as the distance data is already part of existing lens/body combination (look @ the EXIF info) and featured in all 3-D metering of most modern dSLRs... Keeping the CCD's axis around the focal plane might help also. How do they do with the A1, after all its focal lenght vary from 28 to 200mm equivalent?

They could put another chip in each different lens identifying the focal lenght to be 200-400mm for example, which they already did anyway in most lens mounts from Canon to Nikon (including Minolta newer 'D' lenses) for the varying transfer function. Older lenses with mechanical linkage only would be a problem...
Old Aug 8, 2003, 8:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL
They could put another chip in each different lens identifying the focal lenght to be 200-400mm for example, which they already did anyway in most lens mounts from Canon to Nikon (including Minolta newer 'D' lenses) for the varying transfer function. Older lenses with mechanical linkage only would be a problem...
What older lenses? All Minolta AF lenses report the focal lenght to the camera body (it's needed for exposure calculation etc.). The new D lenses also report the distance to the main subject (it's needed for ADI flash system). I don't think image stabilation need this information.
MarkoB is offline   Reply With Quote