Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Sep 20, 2003, 1:39 PM   #21
m_m

Hi Robert!
Congratulations, enjoy your new camera!
Could you do me a favor and tell me what is its aperture range
(min to max aperture both in wide and tele)
and aperture step in manual modes?

Thanks
m_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2003, 8:19 PM   #22

Default Z1 Sighting!! :-)

Just wanted to post this in case anyone else was as impatient as I am...

I saw another post elsewhere from a Walmart employee saying he had 3 Z1s come in. I went ahead and ran down to my local Walmart and sure enough - they had 3 Z1s - $396.00

I went ahead and grabbed one - only 2 left at my local store now.. lol

They didn't have them out - they were under the counter - and the first person I asked didn't know about them (at the camera counter) - luckily her co-worker came by and she asked her and she said yes they had 3... Sooooooo Good Luck Walmart shoppers..

This was in the Tampa Bay, FL area - St. Pete to be exact (Tyrone Blvd).

Hopefully I'll have some worthy pics soon!!
shibumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2003, 10:06 PM   #23

Michael,

I found in the manual - maximum aperture: f/2.8 wide angle and f/3.5 telephoto.

I put the camera in manual mode - telephoto - f/3.5 to f/8.0
wide angle mode f/2.8 - f/8.0.

I've used the camera a bunch friday, saturday, and sunday - and I'm only on my second set of AA bateries. I really need to buy some good rechargeables.

I haven't even installed the software yet. I have windows 2000 pro installed on my pc, plugged in the camera and was moving files in seconds.

The video's are saved in .MOV format - QuickTime, which I'm not real excited about, but I should be able to do something with my video editing software.

So far I am very pleased with this camera.

-Robert
dudeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2003, 10:40 AM   #24

Default Re: Minolta's new Z1 Mega-zoom!

When can we expect all test with samples and your conclusion?

best regards

Wuzzi
Wuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2003, 2:20 PM   #25
m_m

Thanks Robert!
By the way, with the film cameras, even simple ones,
it was normal that minimum apertures were 22 or 16.
Can anybody tell why do they do min. aperture only 8 or so
in digital cameras?
m_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2003, 9:23 PM   #26

Apparture stepping - i forgot to answer earlier.

2.8, 3.2, 3.5, 4.0, 4.5, 5.0, 5.6, 6.3, 7.1, 8.0.

New findings. When recording in video mode, the zoom does not work at 30fps with any image size. The zoom does work at 15fps, but appears to only be digital zoom. I can only get about 22 seconds of video at 640x480 @30fps with my FujiFilm SD card. It looks like it will record until the card fills up at 640x480 @15fps. Maybe there are faster cards out that will allow for more recording time?

I bought some rechargeables tonight and a charger, so no more wasting batteries. It's a new Rayovac charger for the Rayovac I-C3 batteries, says it will charge them fully in 15 minutes. It will also charge NiMH and NiCd overnight, it was only $23 at Walmart. The AA batteries are 2000 mAh.

I found the one potential problem, the lens body has a slight jiggle to it. Granted, I'm not bouncing the camera while taking pictures so it shouldn't be a problem, but i wouldn't think there would be any jiggle.

-Robert
Old Sep 23, 2003, 10:15 AM   #27

Default Maybe the focal length is shorter than it of film cameras...

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_m
Thanks Robert!
By the way, with the film cameras, even simple ones,
it was normal that minimum apertures were 22 or 16.
Can anybody tell why do they do min. aperture only 8 or so
in digital cameras?
Once upon a time I also was wondering why there is no f.11 f.16 f.22 ... I could the answer from some kind of books.
If my recall is correct they say the focal length of digital cameras is too short so digital camera could not attain such aperture numbers....
but that doesn't mean digital cameras could not attain a deep depth of field of film cameras.

I'm afraid of I'm not much of English
Sojuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2003, 9:39 AM   #28
kc

I'm seriously considering buying the Z1, once it becomes available over here.

Today, I read that one needs to have additional software to load your photos from the camera to your PC. I would be surprised, but maybe someone can answer this.
kc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2003, 2:44 PM   #29

I just got at Z1. When I put it into video record mode it makes clicking and whirling noises. They are loud enough that they are picked up by the camera's microphone, and thus during playback you hear the noises - like gears moving.

Is this normal, or do I have a defective unit.

Thanks
Kilgart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2003, 10:38 AM   #30

KC - I have had my Z1 for nearly a week, and still have NOT installed any software. The camera comes with 2 CD installation disks, i think one is for video and other for pictures? I have a PC with Windows 2000 and a USB port. I connected my Z1 to the cable, and Windows pop-up a windows telling me that the Dimage Z1 was connecting. It showed up as a removable drive in My Computer listing. Then it is just drag-n-drop to my harddrive. I have a SD card reader, but haven't even hooked it up yet, it would be good for saving the batteries in the camera, but that's about it.

Kilgart - I have felt a very slight tick or two while recording a video, but nothing that has shown up in the video or could be heard in the audio.

I actually started reading the PDF manual I downloaded from Minolta online. Other than a few misspellings (Macro/Marco) and improper counting (ex. 22,23,25,25,...), it is very detailed. I did have to upgrade the Adobe reader on my computer to be able to view all the pictures in the PDF.

This camera takes excellent low light pictures. I have taken a bunch of pictures after sunset before it has gotten too dark out without the flash, and the pictures have turned out very well. I used a flash for many, and they look better without the flash.

I even took a couple of night time-lapse images, I haven't done that since I was a kid. It is so much fun having a new toy.

-Robert
-new Z1 owner.