Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Sep 27, 2003, 12:35 PM   #41

Default Z1 samples for Starlite

The ones from the first link look good. They are from a Z1. The one's from the AOL address weren't taken with a Z1 according to the EXIF. It appears they were taken with an Olympus C740UZ.
jggillette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2003, 10:08 AM   #42

Yesterday my brother in law got a call from the shop that the first Z1's had arrived.
He rushed over to see the cam and test it on a difficult subject: a fluffy dog coat.
The guy at the shop took the photos using automatic exposure mode, autofocus and no flash inside and outside his shop at around 4 pm...
You can see the disappointing material at:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~dcbjht/z1/

There is loads of noise in the pics even at ISO's 50-80, long exposure times (1/60-1/3) even at 1:3.2 aperture at normal zoom levels (35mm eq ca. 60mm). The camera has trouble focusing on fluffy objects (as do many cameras).

Any comments or advice (good alternatives) ??

Regards, Jigal.
jigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2003, 5:45 PM   #43

The only way I have ever had any luck with fuzzy dogs is using manual settings to get a good depth of field. I would try using the manual settings to see what happens.

I just started taking shots 2 days ago. So far the only complaint I have is the little sd card it comes with is a pain. I'll be glad when my 256 mb card gets here.

I am still experamenting with the camera so we will see. So far though I love it.
Bobz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2003, 6:41 PM   #44

Well, my 'old' Olympus C2020-Z can focus on fuzzy dogs, but has developed some problems after taking about four falls with the lens extended :-( Besides that, the 3x zoom is not enough for outdoors use in dog sporting events, and in those circumstances the autofocus is too slow and the click-to-capture time is too long.
The Z1 looked more like an action-camera (progressive capture, fast autofocus and very short click-to-capture time), but it should be able to focus on the subject, actually...
jigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2003, 6:40 AM   #45

Default Batteries lifetime

Questions to Z1 owners,

What’s the average lifetime of the batteries with Z1 :?:

Thx
PJ
JoWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2003, 2:27 PM   #46

I didn't have a stop watch set, but I would guess about 3 hours on Alkalines. Although, I just bought some brand new Rayovac batteries, claim to have 4x life compared to Alkalines. I haven't timed them yet, but I am having excellent success with them so far.

I just saw one on display this weekend at my local Walmart in Canton, Georgia.

I have had mine for a couple of weeks now, and still love it. Only complaints I have is the clicking while doing video recording, seems to be the auto-focus. But it can only be heard in fairly quiet recordings.

-Robert
dudeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2003, 3:08 PM   #47

Hi,
How does the novel EVF system shape up? I believe the display refreshes at 60/sec compared to the normal 30/sec - does this make it better for panning with moving subjects?
Thanks,
JJ
JJHamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2003, 8:44 AM   #48

Thanks Dudeman

PJ
JoWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2003, 1:40 PM   #49

Default Add on lens??

In the review, it states:

"Minolta offers an optional 0.75x wide-angle converter lens, the ZCW-100, which extends the zoom's wide angle focal length to 28mm in 35mm equivalence"

For novices, what does this mean?? My concern is if the 10X is not enough zoom, I would add an additional lens (looking at the Toshiba M700 also), does the Minolta allow me to add a lens that affords greater zoom??

Thanks
slssah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 2:05 AM   #50

Please help out a newbie.

I am still debating buying the Z1 or the Canon G3.
The G3 is known for picture quality and its ability to take panoramic pictures.

Does this camera support something like stitch assist for taking extra wide pictures? Or can one do it using phtoshop to stitch multiple pics together regardless of whatever camera you use.

Thanks.
starlite is offline   Reply With Quote