Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Oct 8, 2003, 9:46 AM   #51

Default panoramic pictures

Starlite, you can use software to stitch together pictures regardless of the camera used. The G3 and most Canon cameras offer a special mode that makes it easier to line the pictures up. They split the screen to show the live image through the LCD on one side and the previous picture taken in that mode on the other. They also lock the exposure after the first shot so the pictures look similar. That being said, the Z1's tripod mount is lined up directly under the lens which should make it pretty easy to line pictures up any way.
As for image quality, I mentioned earlier in this thread that I bought a Z1 blindly when they first came out. I wasn't happy with the image quality I was getting or the inability of the AF to lock in low light situations. I sold it to a friend (BobZ1) who absolutely loves it and ended up buying a Canon A70. It's more of the type of camera I need and all my accessories from my old A20 could be used. The new snap on lens mount on the A70 is a lot easier to use that the screw on type of the A20. Now I don't mind using my telephoto add on lens.
jggillette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2003, 2:18 PM   #52

I have had my Z1 for about 3 weeks now and have enjoyed it.

Only complaints are the clicking noise during low volume video recording, but that hasn't been real noticeable.

I am a newby to digital photography, but have been an amateur 35 mm photographer for many years. I think the camera, like anything else, takes a little getting used to and playing with all the features. I really love the 10x optical zoom, and I have now taken many good pictures and archived to my home computer.

The 60fps LCD is seem-less and very easy on the eyes. I have my parents HP 850 to compare to, and they want to trade in the 850 for a new Z1.

The auto mode - point and shoot has done very well, but i have enjoyed experimenting with the manual settings. I have found the "bracket" mode a nice feature when I was unsure of how a picture would turn out, mostly when I had a bright white background.

I have had no problems with low light autofocus, especially since I've read the manual and learned a couple of tips.

I have a 3 year old child and he and I both love the video features.

-Robert
-Happy Z1 owner
dudeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2003, 2:57 AM   #53

Default Re: WHEN CAN I BUY IT??!!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibumi
I'm just not sure I really *need* (or want) a 5 megapixel... I think for what I'm doing a 3.2 would be fine... (opinions?)

Thanks!!
hey Shibumi,

I was thinking about the 3 megapixels for a while, and I came to the conclusion that I am actually quite happy with it. Sure, more is nice to have, but it rarely seems to make a difference until you get to 6 megapixels and beyond. 3 megapixels with good optics is quite similar to 5 megapixels, I did a few test shots, and other comments I have read on that issue seem to confirm this. So I actually think the 3 megapixels on the Z1 are perfect. I wouldn't want any more, especially if the 4 or 5 megapixels have a large price premium. One of the best features of the Z1 are its low price, for ~$370 (online) you're most unlikely to ever regret this purchase!

Once they offer a Digital-Rebel priced SLR with twice the linear resolution that 3 megapixels get you (i.e., one with at least 12 megapixles) and low noise, I'll go for the megapixels again, but right now I am satisfied with 3 megapixels.
sjost9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2003, 1:34 PM   #54

Default Purple fringing correctable by firmware upgrade?

Hi yall.

I was a little disapointed with the review on the Z1 by the Digital Camera Resource Page (http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/mi...age_z1-review/, especially because of the obious purple fringing on night shots. I was also disapointed with the general quality of the pictures, but the PF was horrible. On the review they mention that this aberration was a result of the software and not of the quality of the lens. Can anyone confirm this? Because if so, a firmware update could correct it (I guess :roll: ).

That review, BTW, was temporarily removed for further tests.

I'm now considering buying the Kodak DX6490 instead of the Z1, it seemed to me the test results were better.
psargaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2003, 12:26 PM   #55

Hi. The test at DCResource is disabled. Tomorrow will come a new. Very interesting!!
I did the same night test with Z1 and at 2.8 I found a very high CA, but disappeared at 4.5. ALL cameras, with large tele, show, more or less, this problem. Read about CA at "http://www.dpreview.com/learn/Glossary/Optical/Chromatic_Aberrations_01.htm". Check also at "Steve's Photo Pictures" different tele pictures and you will find always this problem.
If the quality of the picture will satisfie you, use "PhotoBrush" to repair it.
foffodc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2003, 9:09 AM   #56

Hi. I'm not disappointed with the test, I'm disappointed with Minolta Z1!!!! It will be difficult to sell it now.
foffodc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2003, 12:01 PM   #57

I read dcresource.com review and I think Minolta Z1 should be put in proportions.
Its competition is actually Fuji S5000 and according to dcresource.com it's better.
If you look at Jeff review he actually ordered the cameras according to his overall review (I added prices too)
Olympus C750 4 MP (street price >500$ + taxes)
Olympus C740 3 MP (street price ~400$ + taxes)
Kodak DX6490 4 MP (street price <500$ + taxes)
Minolta Z1 3 MP (street price 300-400 $)
Fuji S5000 3 MP (street price 300-400 $)
What actually Jeff said (or dcreource.com for this matter) that all of the cameras above are quite average (none of them has optical image stabilization for instance), but if you're interested in ultra zoom, you can either buy Olympus C750 (if you've got the extra dough) or Minolta Z1 if you want a new cheap toy, you can also buy Olympus C740, but you want have sound in movies and this is not a perfect 3 MP ultra zoom camera too (in terms of image quality)
I think that the most crucial comments I've seen about Minolta Z1 is its durability. I wonder how many people already had to return their cameras because of malfunctions (maybe none, who knows? only Minolta USA).
Alon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2003, 2:38 PM   #58

Unfortunatley after being quite happy with my Z1 I had to return it last week after failure of the switch finder. I decided not to have a replacement since I think it would probably happen again. Its a bad design that spoils a good camera.
blackthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2003, 4:33 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthorn
Unfortunatley after being quite happy with my Z1 I had to return it last week after failure of the switch finder. I decided not to have a replacement since I think it would probably happen again. Its a bad design that spoils a good camera.
What statistical law makes you believe that "it would probably happen again"? Of every 1000 Z1 's sold, it is normal that a certain percentage is defective, you apparently had the bad luck to receive such a defective unit, but there's no statistical reason that your next Z1 will also be defective. Just like there's no reason to believe that mine will be OK again if I buy another one.
arthurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2003, 7:35 PM   #60

I just happened to that one blackthorn previous cameras is DMC-FZ2. Well this quite an new camera (maybe a month or so old).
I guess a pattern can be seen here....
Alon is offline   Reply With Quote