Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Aug 15, 2003, 11:07 AM   #1

Default Minolta A1 macro concern

I am doing research in preperation for the purchase of my next digital camera, and the minolta A1 looks like a great candidate. My only concern, however, is the macro focus. I love taking insect macro shots and from the preview specifications, it seems that this camera will only have an average minimal focus range. I was originally considering the coolpix5400 or 5700, and these cameras can focus at 2-3 cm. I compared this to the 21-51 cm / 8.3-20 inch focus of the A1 and this worried me. Am I wrong in being concerned about this?
alphaex32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 15, 2003, 11:20 AM   #2

first you must consider the level of macro it has. is it an equivelent to a 50, 105, or 180mm 35 equivelent? with a 180 you not going to shoot 3-4 cm away its more like 25cm away but then that gives you more room to place equipment and strobes and breathing space too all that and 1:1 too.

the D7hi was between a 180-200mm equivelent.

i'm getting a 180mm for my 1Ds. i don't want to kiss the bee like with a 50mm.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2003, 11:26 AM   #3
NHL

The macro on the A1 is like on the D7i/Hi, ie @ both wide and long. At the tele position you don't need to be that close beside letting more light into the subject you're shooting (and won't scare the bug away)

... the wide position gives you more DOF!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2003, 11:37 AM   #4

Default macro focus distance

Not a problem. Because of the way the D7 lens is constructed, it can take macros at full telephoto. While this moves you a lot further away than other cameras, the resulting shots are still great macros. Actually, it's an advantage. Bugs that you're trying to take a picture of aren't spooked as much, and there's less danger of the camera itself casting shadows on your subject.

Here's one of mine:
http://billhall.net/assets/images/db...b_PICT6797.jpg
wthalliii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2003, 11:47 AM   #5

Thanks for the advice; that helped to reassure me a bit about its macro capabilities. I guess it will be worth giving up a bit of macro power for so many extra features on the A1. This will be my first "prosumer" digicam, so im sure ill be happy with it either way. Just wondering, though, if there are any good (and cheap) macro lenses or accessories that could be used with the A1.

Btw, does anyone have any ideas about when the A1 is going to be released? I cant find any approximate dates anywhere...
alphaex32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2003, 12:26 PM   #6

FYI:

http://www.pbase.com/kcan/di7_macro

(plus 3 means with cokin +3 close-up lense attached)
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote