Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Sep 9, 2007, 11:59 AM   #1

hi there,

I bought the Minolta DiMAGE 7 on 2001.everything are good but currently face a problem..

however i put in the 4 pcs of AA battery it'll automatically switch off the camera or it'll show the low batt signal for awhile,then automatically switch off again.

Anyone face the above problem?
May i know what s'ld i do?
Is the part was damage?

Need your help...thanks
MacTreoUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 9, 2007, 3:12 PM   #2

What kind of batteries are you using? If rechargeable, how long have you had them? After a couple hundred charging cycles, they lose some capacity, and may not operate the camera even after fully charged.

The Dimage 7 cameras had some problems with the battery contacts in some cases. Corrosion or dirty film on the contacts would create resistance, making the camera think the voltage is too low, even with fresh batteries. Cleaning the contacts on the door is not difficult, but the ones inside the camera need something like a pencil eraser, followed by air to blow out the residue. Done carefully, with the camera pointed so the dust falls out, it won't harm the camera.

Hope this helps.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2007, 10:02 PM   #3

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the useful reply.
I think about it before..the contact point of battery..

So,is it the exact problem?Not because of some others cause?
So,Might no need to send back to Minolta to repair right?
Old Sep 9, 2007, 10:36 PM   #4

If that is the problem, you should be able to correct it yourself quite easily. If not, the problem could be in the camera power supply, and you may need to send it out for repair.

One of the symptoms of power supply problems is excess heat. You would be able to feel the handgrip area getting hotter than normal, when the camera is on.

If you have an AC adapter, you could try it, or an external battery. It should supply a minimum of 6 volts at 2 - 2.5A load. If the camera won't operate with this, the problem is almost certainly the camera power supply.

brian
Old Sep 9, 2007, 11:15 PM   #5

OK.Thanks Brian.will check it out!
Old Sep 10, 2007, 9:23 AM   #6
Administrator

This model was a bit finnicky on batteries.

I'd make sure to use known good, fully charged, High Capacity NiMH AA Batteries in it. Alkalines will be virtually useless.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/nimh_batteries.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2007, 10:07 PM   #7
NHL

MacTreoUser wrote:
Quote:
however i put in the 4 pcs of AA battery it'll automatically switch off the camera or it'll show the low batt signal for awhile,then automatically switch off again.
IMO JimC is correct - I have the same camera a few years back and you can shoot about one image with a regular set of AA Alkaline battery... This type of camera draw a lot of current!
What you need are rechargeable NiMh batteries with at least 1600mAh capacity which will keep the voltage high as they deplete!

Regular AA batteries (even brand new) drop their voltage after a few shots to below the minimum required by the camera hence it will automatically shutdown instead
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2007, 10:17 PM   #8

Hey Jim C & NHL,
Thanks and appreciate your reply.

But i don't think is the Battery problem..first i'm using 2100 and at the same time i apply it on my Fuji 602..No problem at all and i can shoot up to 600+ photos...

Erm...what's the actual problem man.. No idea..

How do you clean the contact point of battery cover?use the sand paper?
Old Sep 10, 2007, 10:57 PM   #9

MacTreoUser wrote:
Quote:
Hey Jim C & NHL,
Thanks and appreciate your reply.

But i don't think is the Battery problem..first i'm using 2100 and at the same time i apply it on my Fuji 602..No problem at all and i can shoot up to 600+ photos...

Erm...what's the actual problem man.. No idea..

How do you clean the contact point of battery cover?use the sand paper?
If there is obvious corrosion, you may need to use something like that. If not, just use the pencil eraser.

I have a D7hi, and found that 1800mAH battery would be used up very quickly. After switchint to 2500mAH, I can shoot a couple hundred photos. More, if I don't use the LCD much.

brian
Old Sep 28, 2007, 8:27 AM   #10

VT,

Thanks for helps...
but you know...bro...my problem is...just put in...sometimes can't be oprerate and sometimes just put in the battery...low batt signal shown...

So,means,contact was no problem??the problem is Battery??

But same battery...i can use in my Fuji S602 for a few hundred pictures...

strange...