Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Sep 12, 2007, 7:32 PM   #1

I know I'm a bit late - about 7 years I guess - but I've acquired an RD 3000. Seems to work quite well except for a couple of niggles.
Firstly, I can't view any images I've taken, in the camera. They're there all right - here's one I took earlier -
http://www.pbase.com/tonysx/image/85492318
- and can be downloaded but the display mode and the record mode display function merely show a nicely numbered blue screen, so it's like using a film camera....
I've read the manual that came with it and the fuller version from the KM website but no luck.
Any knowledge out there?

Secondly the 22-80mm lens that came with the camera continuously hunts for focus - even in the manual focus setting. Other lenses work fine and can be auto focused or manually focused. Do I bin the lens?
Thanks for any help that might be out there.....
TonySx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2007, 7:59 PM   #2

Regarding the "blue screen" in place of seeing the actual photo, I would suggest formatting the memory card you're using. It's possible that the camera is comfortable enough with the current formatting that it will write images to the card, but isn't completely happy about reading from the card. (Playback mode should allow full access to the images, and the capture mode "with preview" will allow a quick look at each image after it is saved -- which takes a while -- but the screen will be black until the image is ready, not blue.)

Regarding the 22-80 lens, mine works fine and focuses as well as any of my other Vectis lenses (50mm macro, 56-170mm, 80-240mm, and 400mm reflex). Since the motor isn't in the lens (like some other brands), I doubt that dirty/faulty contact points would be the cause -- but clean 'em anyway just in case.

Since only that one lens is suspect, I would try the lens on another camera to see how it functions. You could probably find a Vectis S1 body cheap enough on eBay.

Got a 17mm lens with the camera? That's the last Vectis I need to buy, but I don't know if it's 100% compatible with the RD3000. (I'm not in a panic to gain the 28-56mm lens since my others overlap that range.)

The RD3000 is not a bad camera, for its age. If you find yourself complaining too much about its lack of features, buy an RD-175. (Heh heh.)
DrLamonti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 7:23 AM   #3

DrLamonti wrote:
Quote:
Regarding the "blue screen" in place of seeing the actual photo, I would suggest formatting the memory card you're using.* It's possible that the camera is comfortable enough with the current formatting that it will write images to the card, but isn't completely happy about reading from the card.* (Playback mode should allow full access to the images, and the capture mode "with preview" will allow a quick look at each image after it is saved -- which takes a while -- but the screen will be black until the image is ready, not blue.)
I did use the camera to format the card, but will try again just in case.
Quote:
Regarding the 22-80 lens, mine works fine and focuses as well as any of my other Vectis lenses (50mm macro, 56-170mm, 80-240mm, and 400mm reflex).* Since the motor isn't in the lens (like some other brands), I doubt that dirty/faulty contact points would be the cause -- but clean 'em anyway just in case.

Since only that one lens is suspect, I would try the lens on another camera to see how it functions.* You could probably find a Vectis S1 body cheap enough on eBay.
I bought a body with a 22-80 lens yrsterday for that purpose! Will try each lens on each camera..
Quote:
Got a 17mm lens with the camera?* That's the last Vectis I need to buy, but I don't know if it's 100% compatible with the RD3000.* (I'm not in a panic to gain the 28-56mm lens since my others overlap that range.)
Yes, the attached pic was with the 17mm lens. It focuses well and is nice and quick.
Quote:
The RD3000 is not a bad camera, for its age.* If you find yourself complaining too much about its lack of features, buy an RD-175.* (Heh heh.)
No complains at all. Just the reverse, I think there's too much 'ability' in a modern camera for me to use. White balance, exposure, ISO (I would prefer a better range e.e 100 - 400), aperture ,shutter speed and a flash is adequate... Isn't the RD-175 an older model???

And thanks for the reply....
Old Sep 14, 2007, 5:14 PM   #4

Update.
I tried another CF card and I now get images on the LCD!! The card I was using was a Sandisk 128meg card - quite old. The 'new' card is a Sandisk 96meg - and just as old! Is there a size limitation on what the RD 3000 can handle?
Old Sep 15, 2007, 4:59 AM   #5

Further update. Got another 22-80mm lens and this one focuses o.k. So I'll just bin the first one.
Old Sep 16, 2007, 1:08 PM   #6

I'm glad the new card and lens are working for you. I'm not aware of any capacity limits on CF cards in that camera. I use a pair of Lexar 256MB cards without a problem. I've never tried my 4GB card in it, since the camera's filesize doesn't require it for the number of shots I would take with it. (I also have a Dimage 5, and a 7D for serious work, so my RD3000 has become my "third backup.")

Yes, the RD-175 is an older (and entirely different) model. (And it does have a capacity limit, just for curiosity, with its PCMCIA storage cards.) It even lacks an LCD screen for previewing pics. However, it does take Maxxum lenses instead of the inferior Vectis lenses. I was just stating that if you thought the RD3000 was primitive, comparing it to the RD-175 might un-sour your apples for you.

(I guess my RD-175 is my "fourth backup" -- !!)
DrLamonti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 7:16 AM   #7