Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jul 22, 2002, 12:41 PM   #1

Default Where to start?

Just got my 7i last Thursday. So far I love
it, It's my second digital camera, My first
was the HP 618. Now I just need to get a little
higher up on the learning curve.

A couple of questions to start with?

The "automatic monitor amplification" do I
need to be in full manual mode for it to
kick in? I was taking some pictures outside
last night and the display did turn black
& white but I could just barely make out an
image in EVF, I'm not positive but I think
I was either in the Program mode or the Night
portrait mode, actually I think I might have
tried them both.

I can't seem to get the Scale, Grid or
histogram to turn on, I followed the directions
in the manual but they won't come on. Am I
doing something wrong?

Last question for now. What is the advantage
to taking and saving pictures in RAW mode?
triplef is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2002, 12:46 PM   #2
NHL

You're in the automatic mode when the EVF switches to B/W in total darkness...
If you go to the manual mode 'M' then it get even better: What-you-see-is-what-you-get (ie it'll stay in color) Blackout of course until you manually decrease the shutter speed, or opening up the aperture, just like what a manual film camera is supposed to do, like you're looking at the real film plane! (and if you want you can even turn on the real-time histogram to check out your setting in the D7i)

The RAW data is just like what is said, raw data from the CCD alone. What this means is the software in the PC will do the picture conversion using the camera settings (ie aperture, speed, white balance, ...or others filter settings) instead of the firmware internal to the camera. If one can improve this algorithm in the PC then of course the picture quality will increase... With jpeg and Tiff one is stucked with whatever the camera output...

[Edited on 7-22-2002 by NHL]

-->
PS. This is what happened (dark viewfinder) when you mount a non-Minolta flash or use external sync in manual wihout the PCT-100, but there's a way to overide this as well (push in the selection AND the i+ button at the same time). Isn't this a great camera? there's more features here than one can shake a stick @!

[Edited on 7-22-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2002, 12:55 PM   #3

NHL, Is that a question or statement?
Old Jul 22, 2002, 10:10 PM   #4
NHL

I believe it's a great camera... What about you?

To turn on the grid, you have to press the i+ repeately until the grids come up, there's actually 6 different screens (including the real-time histogram, grid, or scale!). Setting it up in the Menu only enable this feature... but not turn it on! The i+ (info) button enable theses features sequentially (or turn all the clutter off...)

[Edited on 7-23-2002 by NHL]
Old Jul 23, 2002, 8:06 AM   #5

Thanks NHL, I'll try that with the i+ (info)
button. I figured it was "user error".

So when picture quality really matters I
would want to use RAW mode?

So far I love this camera, I really can't
wait untill I fully understand just what it
can really do!!!

I don't quit understand the PS you added on
you're first reply. Not sure what a PCT-100
is, and what "selection" button, arn't there
about 3 of them. Hope this dosn't sound stupid.

What Photo editing software are you using?
I'm not sure I really like the software
that came with the camera.
Old Jul 23, 2002, 11:55 AM   #6
NHL

I would limit the RAW mode to thoses 'unforgettable' shots only since shooting everything in this mode will be both a memory and a power waste, (not counting the slower operation of the camera as well). Remember this is a pro-sumer and not a full fledge dSLR! What the raw file allows one to do is somewhat 'correct' for the mistake at the PC when the exposure was off when the picture was originally taken.
With tiff and jpeg you're limited to correcting after the damage is done! Tiff from the camera is a total waste since this output is barely discernable if @ all from the jpeg (but more useful for some publishing application). I would use my PC to do the jpeg to tiff conversion, and tax the PC memory rather than the D7(i) and saving battery power instead! I shoot mostly fine jpegs and occasional RAW limite to the studios only.

When the camera is in manual, it shows exatly the result one's would expect from the current shutter/aperture combination, ie in a darkened room the film will be underexposed and dark., and so is the EVF. If one uses the camera in this mode (without the PCT-100 external flash adapter) then it would be very hard to compose in a darkened studio @ f9.5 with external AC powered flashes. To overide this one would press both the i+ and the 'selection button' on the left side of the camera. The EVF would go back to the 'auto-brightness adjustment' which is fine for seeing and composing, but one has just disabled the 'What-You-See-Is-What-You-Get' feature of the D7(i).
I believe this feature, along with the real-time histogram, are the camera's biggest asset. (On most other digicam one has to go to the 'play mode' after the picture is taken to examine the histogram). This makes taking picture with the D7(i) in manual almost child play, and I recommend everyone to try it, especially in difficult lighting conditions !!! (BTW This will get everyone a hands-on on what shutter/aperture are supposed to do in a camera…)

DIVU is just like what the name says a 'utility' only. I use PhotoShop 6.0 still, but for quick multiple prints on an 8x10, I tend to jump to Microsoft Picture-It! by reflex...
Old Jul 24, 2002, 8:20 AM   #7

Thanks NHL,

I got the scale and grid to work, just like you said.
And I think I'm getting further with the EVF display
in low light conditions, I hav'nt had much time to
play with it lately.