Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jul 24, 2002, 8:18 PM   #1

Default Super Hi Res = Biggie Files?

Backed off 5 Mp for general work instruction photos. Corel Draw 9 and the Pentium III computer can handle it - S-L-O-W-L-Y !
cald is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2002, 9:03 PM   #2

i shoot in fine mode jpg largest size. 8x10 excellent. super fine produces a tiff. no compression. BIG.

how much memory does your p3 have. my laptop is at 512MB, home base computer 768MB both 1 GHZ.

when working an image one should have 2x the amount of memory that the shot comprises plus the OS and editing program overhead otherwise you'll start hitting the page file. there is when you find out what slow is.

an image off of a D7i in fine uncompressed jpg is approx 14MB
the OS overhead in the case of winXP is about 100MB+(it loves memory and hardware) your editor in the case of PS7 is about 50-80MB. to run and use
28 for the picture
100 for OS
70 avg for PS7
total mem to run roughly 192 MB less than that you hit the page file (hard drive memory use to make up for lack of ram memory). drags down the machine to a crawl

[Edited on 7-25-2002 by sjms]
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2002, 4:32 PM   #3

Three steps, in this order:

Lots of RAM
Newer, faster video card
Powerleap upgrade

The folks at http://www.powerleap.com know what they're doing. It's a cheap way to get a few more years out of that aging computer.
JimHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2002, 11:44 PM   #4

your right on the lots of ram
power leap upgrade would be relative to the ram, board, chipset. ther are a lot more bottlenecks on a computer than raw cpu power.
faster video card- thats an interesting one. the reason why is 99% of the cards today are designed for your gaming enhancement. 3D. remember that all that memory and speed that nvidia and ati put into their trick little cards really doesnt help 2D apps that much. so purchasing a geforce 4 with 64-128 MB ram will improve quake 3 or castle wolfenstein. quantitatively though it wont turn ps7 into a screaming app.

there are a lot of factors. your OS. win 98 mem mgt is really inadequate after 128MB ram. lets not talk about ME though it was a step foward in mem mgt. handled mem much like win2k/xp but not much else. win 2k- throw more memory at and it just worked better. FEED ME. win xp- win2k with a fisher-price front end (actually i kind of like it). with ps7 a match made in heaven. win xp has the same taste for memory.
Old Jul 26, 2002, 6:19 PM   #5

here is my thought:

Ram is the most important here. at least 3 times the size of the image if u want to edit ur photo; plus the memory for the app. and os.

faster video card is next. video card will make big difference.

then u need a faster CPU, fst memory and bus.

most people ignore hard drive. because of using virtual memory, hard drive is still important.

finally, i will not use xp. window 2000 is much better & slim for most app.
zhu001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2002, 7:42 PM   #6

Default Major cleanup & Windows 2000

Thanks - First got to do some serious housecleaning in the computer. (20 & 40 Gig) hard drives.
Lots of junk i.e. bit & pieces - Probably need to save data, format and start clean.
Old Jul 26, 2002, 8:06 PM   #7

minimize the use of virt mem. it like throwing out a boat anchor. win2k is ram use smart. its limit is up in the clouds.

yes housekeeping is job one on the HD. i auto defrag each partition every 3 days. most people gag their drives with sample downloads of programs. if your not using it leave it off the drive. my machine has a total of 42 gig haven't found much use for more yet. i don't do video on it. all images are kept off on some form of removeable media. u160 scsi for transfer rate and it doesn't bog down the processor. ata 133 doesn't even come near it.

partitioning- it is an extension of the file system and actually speeds up the sys access. people go and get 80 gig HDs and have it at 1 large drive. that wastes up to 15% space in fat 32. ntfs has little effect but your making th system chase a file through the entire drive. safety- keeping in work images in a seperate partition will save them should you currupt your boot partition. it also allows for clean installs of the OS without affecting your images.

last but not least. how many little icons are on the right side. each of those little darlings represents a chunk of memory being used by an active extension of a program.
Old Jul 26, 2002, 8:08 PM   #8

A couple of things, win98SE did not really know what to do with over 64 meg memory. A system with 128 meg that is updated to winme gets a nice little performance boost. 2000 pro and XP love memory and know how to use it, big boost. Also most programs anymore want to put themselves into your startup, may want to look and see if you can take some out of it. you may have alot more stuff running than you think.
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2002, 9:04 PM   #9

Default (Yup)

For instance, USBman site says USB doesn't lke to share IRQ. IRQ9 is USB host controller & also ACPI IRQ holder for PCI IRQ steering, SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus. Also in I/O lists of resource confilcts there are 'tons of "Alias this & alias that - seem to be clones of actual items. (Getting over my head) Loaded all the Via and Windows 98SE USB patches.
Although CF card gets read ok, there's no proper way to 'stop' it before safely removing it from the Atech Pro II reader.
Old Jul 26, 2002, 9:06 PM   #10

Default Memory limit?

Gary, with tweaking, I have 1 Gig of memory. will stuff it to 1.5 Gig when Windows 2000 gets loaded.