Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jul 25, 2002, 10:01 AM   #1

Default ISO 800 = wrong choice

Tried ISO 800 so camera would forgive my shakes. Looked like I was shooting in a sandstorm
cald is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2002, 10:25 AM   #2

we don't talk about iso 800. i's a little rough (noisey). its for when you really gotta have the picture and quality is not an issue.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2002, 12:41 PM   #3

i like to refer to it as popcorn grain.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2002, 1:34 PM   #4

Just rememer that everything in photography is a tradeoff. When you ask the CCD to make an image with less light you'll get a noisier image. Digital is no different from film in that respect.

For the most part you don't need ISO 800 unless you're shooting indoors without flash and handheld. I always keep mine at 100 unless I specifically need 800. In the 35mm world we used the focal length = slowest safe shutter speed for hand held. With a 28 or 35mm wide angle you could easily hold steady at 1/30 though you might see subject motion. With a 200mm telephoto you might want to stay above 1/250th. Your dimage has a hand shake icon that warns you when shutter speed is dropping too low. Watch it and experiment. Practice holding ultra steady and you'll find you can often shoot at slower speeds and get good photos.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2002, 4:10 PM   #5
NHL

Cald

If I remembered correctly you try to shoot a stationary circuit card, hence you can go to ISO-100 and use a table top tripod along with the timer setting... (as long as nobody shake your table).

Are you on the factory floor or shooting in an office? because if you try to be economical, two 500W halogen torshiere floorlamps from Walmart/Home depot would do it also bouncing of the ceiling and side walls (the smaller the office the better)! or go for the cheaper photoflood Tungsten lamps... They might even give you more contrast and saturation than ambient room light.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote