Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jul 13, 2002, 6:57 AM   #21
NHL

padeye

If one treats the DPreview as godspel (Phil is a Nikon fan) then that the end of all discussions. Just out of curiosity how many people here try different chargers? I can attest that all five of mine produce different results... Like fotograafdigi I never need more than 2 sets a day (and also I never use the LCD), and I've done them several time both @ Disney World and island trips with the microdrive!

Once you receive your microdrive and if you can not randomly squeeze 350+ consecutively shots (ie without the camera going Auto-off) out of the D7 before a battery change then something is wrong... I'll go for the charger first (before the batteries) or even send the D7 in for a quick check.

PS reviewing pictures is another story (the microdrive will eat the batteries alive)... ie the handle WILL get warm !!!

[Edited on 7-13-2002 by NHL]

http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM

...For the AA-equipped cameras, it's well established that standard alkaline batteries are almost completely worthless in most cases. Hopefully all my readers have been thoroughly indoctrinated in the need for high capacity NiMH rechargeable AA cells AND a good charger. As we'll see though, there's quite a range of performance between brands and models of NiMH batteries. (And even more variation between chargers, but that's a subject for another review altogether.)

Be logical people that's between 3W to 8W hours, I doubt the camera will exceed 2A (since we'll have melt down), but even at that the D7 should last more than an hour... and that what you get if you squeeze the shutter down and let the D7 fill up the microdrive non-stop !!!(isn't that what Minolta spec's out for 110 minutes playback?)

Here's another one: Who got the Quest2 fancy sound enabled individual LED quickcharger from Minolta? I got different results from opening and closing the lid (since closing the cover will make the charger shut-off earlier fooling it into undercharging the NiMH because of the heat)... So please don't blame the camera. (LiIon don't have this problem since they are paired with the manufacturer charger)

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2002, 8:28 AM   #22
NHL

This is a known problem in the industry, and help is on the way... This Rayovac NiMh will make everything else obsolete...

Old Jul 13, 2002, 11:05 AM   #23

NHL
could you please post this rayovac info in the NEW TECHNOLOGY forum and start a new thread "Batteries/Power Packs"

thanks
sjms

[Edited on 7-13-2002 by sjms]
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2002, 1:53 PM   #24
NHL

I think I've just put 2+2 together since there's such a disparate reporting on battery life...

1. I've noticed that both Kcan and I got excellent results from the cameras when shooting continuously, without the camera turning off (that's another minute of wasted power)
2. Batteries capacities vary by brand AND by chargers!
3. I rarely review my pictures until downloaded (because I use the microdrive!)

What I believe happened (only a guess) is the people that'll have the worst battery problem are the ones who review their pictures in the camera and deleted the 'unwanted' ones... because for a fact I know that the microdrive will eat the batteries alive when reviewing pictures. ie the device is very hot unlike when the camera is taking pictures !!!
With flash, power consumption will probably be less, but I think everyone should take this into account as well... There's also a lot of accesses to flash here and not just a single memory write as when a picture is snapped!
Old Jul 16, 2002, 10:44 AM   #25

Default batteries

i can take up to 150pictures with one battery set and i have 2 other sets with. I use the EVF as much as possible - almost never the LCD. But the EVF LCD is very poor. I see that a lot of you are also using the EVF LCD only. Any idea how i get a clear and accurate EVF LCD. When a put my eye against the EVF eyeglass, the LCD is not accurate - except when i keep it about 1 incg away of the eyeglass but than i can't really see what is on the EVF LCD ?
standard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2002, 11:03 AM   #26

did you try to adjust the diopter control (??)
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2002, 11:30 AM   #27
NHL

You've got lot of 'lignes' are you also French speaking or something? I'm surprised KCan did not pick up on this...

Anyway with the diopter one can get a pretty sharp view (ie. individual pixel) with the eye right up to it. However a friend of mine has his EVF went unsharp suddenly on one hot day: He can only dial his diopter to focus on the center of the EVF or the top or bottow but never all three... We kind of open the EVF from the bottom and found out that the tiny LCD screen has become unglue and tilt @ an angle (the EVF is actually facing the side of the camera) from the force of the flex cable... A slight pressure sticked in back on, and the problem was solved, but he has sent the camera back to Minolta and they replaced the whole thing (ie one of his dead pixel was gone too!)

Check a different camera at the store, if it's not at all what you expected, send the camera in for repair !!!