Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Apr 6, 2008, 8:07 PM   #11
Administrator

Manual power settings get around it. But, most of the newer models don't get that feature (only the A700 has manual power settings out of the newer Sony DSLR models). They left this feature off the KM 5D and the other Sony DSLR models.

So, you can end up with overexposed images at closer ranges if you don't stop down your aperture enough and keep your ISO speeds set lower.

IOW, for all practical purposes, you have a manual versus Auto flash using one of the older models with Digital.

The problem is that flash systems were redesigned for digital to use a metering preflash that occurs just before the main flash burst (around 100ms before the main flash burst). The camera then measures reflected light from the metering preflash to determine how long the main flash burst should be.

The older flash models don't understand the newer commands for the preflash. So, they always fire at the same power level (unless you use manual power settings via a model that has that feature available).

Because the camera's main sensors don't reflect light the same way as film, they abandoned the approach of trying to meter and terminate the flash during the exposure (the way they did with off the film metering). Instead, flash systems were redesigned to use a metering preflash. So, that left the older flash models incompatible with the TTL modes used by newer digital models (which rely on a metering preflash to determine how long the main flash burst needs to be).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2008, 5:26 PM   #12

Jim, Thanks for all the useful information you've supplied in this thread. If nothing else, it should convince the OP to buy a new(er) flash. Certainly made me think if I should.
I guess the only other response needed for the OP is "no they aint cheap" but more often than not, you get what you pay for.....
TonySx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2008, 7:01 PM   #13
Administrator

Personally, I use a Sunpak 333 Auto, purchased in 10 (as new in box) conditon from the used department at B&H for $25, via a $16 FS-1100 compatible adapter (purchased from a Hong Kong based vendor).

From my perspecitve, tt's not that much trouble to use manual exposure, setting the flash and camera to match.

But, the newer flash models do have their advantages (able to set themselves based on camera settings used).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote