Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Oct 16, 2003, 4:08 AM   #11

Ching

I did not notice that the image stabilizer on the FZ1/FZ2 made alot of difference. The Minolta Z1 will provide good handheld shots even at full zoom. I have to say the best images come from the C-750 but it costs more money. Most of the images of aircraft you see on my site are taken at near or full zoom and they are all handheld.

These images were taken yesterday with the C-750 again all handheld and all straight from the camera, you can compare them with the previous Minolta Z1 images posted earlier.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/km.bate...orth/index.htm

if you want any full images of these cameras to compare just email me and I will email them back to you.

Lets say the Olympus is the best all rounder and if I had to choose between them all thats the one I would go for, but the Z1 costs a lot less in the UK and its a good runner up. The Panasonic FZ1/FZ2 images are just not as sharp even with the Leica lense.
blackthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2003, 5:04 AM   #12

Default great pix

Kevin - thank you for the wonderful pix from your Z1 , have you seen the sample night shot of Z1 in DCRP - seems to have lots of purple fringe or is that what you call CA? Although people would say that it is almost always there in ultra zoom cameras, but Z1 has the worst, I haven't seen that appear in your photos.

I've also read that Olympus cameras are not as user friendly as other cameras (accdg to image resource site) what do they mean on that? I haven't use Oly digicam so I really do not know what's not user friendly with Oly. Although a friend has one and she has trouble also in her Oly but she has the older model C700 so I thought it must have been corrected in newer models.

Ching
Ching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2003, 6:34 AM   #13

Thanks for the comments

The C-740 and C-750 use better optics that help reduce purple fringing and when taking scenic images I set an F stop of 4.5 to 5 which helps to reduce it further.

One thing I have noticed is people making a judgement on a camera within the first few hours of getting it and I think it takes weeks to make a decision.

If you want good value go for the Minolta Z1 if you want that little bit of extra build quality and extras plus 4 megapixels go for the C-750. The only camera I have used and did not like for reasons of purple fringing and noisey images was the Fuji S5000 but the reviews have already mentioned that.

I will add one further comment, I hear alot of talk about the need of image stablisers in these camera's, personally I don't think the are needed if I can get a good still at 380 zoom of an aircraft taking off then why do I need a stabiliser?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/km.bate...s/astraeus.jpg
Old Oct 16, 2003, 7:38 AM   #14

Default thanks

Kevin, again thanks for the assurance

I'll try to find a Z1 here and try it out a bit before I make a purchase. I'm still waiting for my friend that now has the C-750 and will try it out in the next few days.

Ching
Old Oct 16, 2003, 12:28 PM   #15

Take a look at the dcresource review it might help you

http://www.dcresource.com/
Old Oct 17, 2003, 1:57 AM   #16

Default I did

I did saw the review from DCRP that's why I was kinda hesitant to purchase the Z1 because of the Purple Fringes in the night shot - the picture turns out very very bad!! You have night shot sample pix there?

Ching
Old Oct 17, 2003, 2:55 AM   #17

No I have no night shot and I am not likely to for the moment the switch between the viewfinder and the LCD jammed on the Z1 so its back to the shop.

Problems happen with any camera, but this switching idea could prove troublesome. Time will tell.
Old Oct 17, 2003, 5:09 AM   #18

Default hmmm

it seems that Jeff is going to do some intensive review of the Z1 again, he admitted that he made some mistakes. A german site pointed out his white balance something that's why he got all the CA in that night shot picture. We'll see how Z1 will fare on his next review of it.

Ching
Old Oct 18, 2003, 3:06 AM   #19

Hello Ching.
I took some night picture. At 2.8 the CA were horrible, at 3.8 or 4.5 disappeared completely. At high contrast pictures I found rest of CA. I've tested cameras and checked photos taken by others and found that +6 tele shows always a degree of CA. I "repaired" these pictures with "PhotoBrush" or "Picture Window" with optimal results. You can DL a trial and check youself.
Bye
Adolfo
foffodc is offline   Reply With Quote